Hooking up a windows SCSI drive

Silock@CSi

Registered
I got a 250 gb Seagate Cheetah SCSI drive for free. Problem is, my friend wants me to get all the data off and burn it to DVD for him, and then I can have the drive. Is that going to be possible? What will I need to hook it up? I got the SCSI card from Apple when I ordered my dual G4. I'll just need an internal SCSI cable, and the power hook-up should be in the computer, right?

I'm not sure if its a FAT32 or NTFS file system. I'm running Jaguar. Will I be able to read it? Thanks.

Silock@CSi said:
I got a 250 gb Seagate Cheetah SCSI drive for free. Problem is, my friend wants me to get all the data off and burn it to DVD for him, and then I can have the drive. Is that going to be possible? What will I need to hook it up? I got the SCSI card from Apple when I ordered my dual G4. I'll just need an internal SCSI cable, and the power hook-up should be in the computer, right?

I'm not sure if its a FAT32 or NTFS file system. I'm running Jaguar. Will I be able to read it? Thanks.

The hooking it up part should be easy, as long as your card has a matching connecter, since there are many different types of scsi connections...it's probably a 68pin scsi. Though i'm not sure if os x will be able to read the partition table if it's NTFS or even FAT32....it's most likely NTFS with a size that big. Oh and btw, it's not everday you score a drive that probably cost more than $1,500+ for free, take good care of that, heh.

Total Konfuzion said:
The hooking it up part should be easy, as long as your card has a matching connecter, since there are many different types of scsi connections...it's probably a 68pin scsi. Though i'm not sure if os x will be able to read the partition table if it's NTFS or even FAT32....it's most likely NTFS with a size that big. Oh and btw, it's not everday you score a drive that probably cost more than $1,500+ for free, take good care of that, heh.

Yeah, I know. I got LUCKY. But, I only get it if I can get the data off.

Silock@CSi said:
Yeah, I know. I got LUCKY. But, I only get it if I can get the data off.

could always plug it into a pc running winNT/2k/XP and get it off that way....supposing the pc has a scsi card.

I would search long and hard for a PC equipped with SCSI and do the copy there. There's no telling if the Mac can read those file systems (I think it can, but not sure! Possibly FAT32, probably not NTFS) and that's too good a deal to pass up.

Good news, if it's a scsi drive and you can connect it, you will be able to read it if it's fat32. If it's ntfs you will get a error dialog when you start up osx saying you have inserted a drive that the OS cannot read and give you the option to ignore it or format it.

I have done the switch of windows drives many times with scsi and ide for transferring large files. I also have a beige running 10.2 with a crazy setup (look below for that) and can say from first hand experience that os x is great with hard drives so I would not worry too much about data corruption.

Congrats on the drive ^^

Back