How big a flop has the iPod photo been so far

biggest seller doesn't have to mean biggest profit, though. I think the iPod photo 30 GB will be a winner... Cheap enough, gorgeous enough.

fryke said:
I think the iPod photo 30 GB will be a winner... Cheap enough, gorgeous enough.
I agree, but for the money they're asking I think I'll probably pay a bit extra and get an iRiver PMP140.

(I'll soothe my iPod lust with a 4G iPod mini ;) )

Kap

Now that (short) video is on iPhoto, we can expect it to come to the iPod.

diablojota said:
You're kidding right?
'Fraid not.

I've got an iPod shuffle and will be getting a 4G iPod mini (mainly because it's a pain trying to scrub through Audible books on the shuffle and because I want some playlists).

i.e. In terms of listening to my music/audiobooks, I'm pretty well covered.

So basically,
  • If I got an iPod photo, I could upload and view photos
  • If I get an iRiver, I can watch video, record sound and upload and view photos
i.e. The increased functionality is easily worth the price difference. Don't care that much about the user interface (haven't got that many videos to sort through, compared to my music).

If the iPod photo played video, of course it'd be a completely different ballgame. But sadly, as far as I'm concerned, Apple is the one digging in the wrong place.

diablojota said:
Now that (short) video is on iPhoto, we can expect it to come to the iPod.
I don't think this will have much of an impact on the iPod - it's more about having another level of connection with digital cameras. In any case, I'm not willing to wait around for another year or more for a video iPod.

Kap

Well, if portable video is something you want, the iPod's quite _certainly_ not the way to go right now. ;) ... But the iRiver? 4:3 screen (eek!) and the price... I'm waiting for a truly good "QuickTime" player that does Xvid and DivX as well. With a wide screen, of course.

fryke said:
But the iRiver? 4:3 screen (eek!) and the price... I'm waiting for a truly good "QuickTime" player that does Xvid and DivX as well. With a wide screen, of course.
As far as I'm aware, there are only few decent alternatives in the market today for what I want in such a device (video player, stores photos, records sound)
  • Archos PMA 400 - a bit too expensive
  • Archos Gmini 400 - battery not removable
  • Epson P-2000 - doesn't record sound via line in
  • iRiver PMP140

It's possible that I'll pony up the extra and get the Archos PMA 400.

Kap

Ceroc Addict said:
As far as I'm aware, there are only few decent alternatives in the market today for what I want in such a device (video player, stores photos, records sound)
  • Archos PMA 400 - a bit too expensive
  • Archos Gmini 400 - battery not removable
  • Epson P-2000 - doesn't record sound via line in
  • iRiver PMP140

It's possible that I'll pony up the extra and get the Archos PMA 400.

Kap

how about the PSP from Sony? it is a GREAT excuse to take a trip to tokyo!don't know about the sound recording with that one, though.

Decado said:
how about the PSP from Sony? it is a GREAT excuse to take a trip to tokyo!don't know about the sound recording with that one, though.
Not a chance in hell. The PSP is just Sony trying to foist yet another storage medium (UMD optical disks) on the world.

Kap

I think that the iPod photo will sell super huge with pro photographers as being a digital wallet as soon as they release the camera connection kit that i have read about. with the price of these 2gig and 4gig memory cards and the price of the iPod photo it just makes sense to get the iPod photo instead of 10 cards.

My friend brought a PSP from Japan. Yes, lovely item, wouldn't buy it though. For one thing, the battery life... bad. Oh, and it's big, well, very long. And the volume isn't that good.

For those who haven't seen it, this came out today in the Apple eNews:

... And with iPod photo software 1.1 — due next month — you can connect iPod photo directly to your digital camera, download new images to your photo library, and more.

Jeffo said:
I think that the iPod photo will sell super huge with pro photographers as being a digital wallet as soon as they release the camera connection kit that i have read about. with the price of these 2gig and 4gig memory cards and the price of the iPod photo it just makes sense to get the iPod photo instead of 10 cards.
I wish Apple had put iPod photo functionality in a version of the 6GB iPod mini (i.e. larger than the current mini, but smaller than the 20GB iPod).

I could easily live with 4 GB of music and use 2 GB for photos.

Kap

Heh... you'd be lucky to get 4GB of music and 1.5GB of photos. 6GB doesn't mean 6 complete GBs. (Sorry, just being a stickler)

I think what you're asking is akin to asking Apple to put dual-G5 processors in the iMac. The low-end (eg, the mini) is just that: low-end. No photos. No color screen.

You could always use the Belkin adaptor.

Back