How big a flop has the iPod photo been so far

A hard figure... hmm... 36-24-36 at age 72. That's a hard figure. :)

Ok, ok... sorry. It's been one of those days.

Ceroc Addict said:
I'm generally aware that it hasn't been selling well, but I was wondering if anyone had any hard figures?

Kap

I reckon!

Why whould you spend that much cash and not have a camera built in? at least the iPod photo should have a camera. it's user experience is just "logicly incorrect" not enough people have them to even enjoy the current experience. Even though i nearly bought one because it was colour and showed jewl case artworks. The price was just wrong. now i await the new roumored mini colour screen iPods

Imagine the use of a camera enabled iPod at parties, events etc. Now that is free marketing and advertising in itself!

Quicksilver said:
Why whould you spend that much cash and not have a camera built in? at least the iPod photo should have a camera.

No it shouldn't.

Adding a worthwhile/useable/usefull camera would make it too big and expensive. It would be a camera with a built in hard-drive, not an iPod.

The only alternative would be to add a camera like on a mobile phone or PDA, and I am sick to the back teeth of devices adding these crappy useless cameras. Also, there would be no point at all having a harddrive for such a low resolution camera.

What the iPod photo should have though is better conectivity for digital cameras. The absolute minimum being the ability to display photos imported using the Belkin media reader.

at least they just lowered the prices on the unit drastically, so it is more an iPod with colour-screen and the ability to show photos at the moment..

seems to me this a logic step into converting all the old iPods into iPod Photos.. only the 20GB left now.

ia price drop is the obvious one - everyone wants a coulor screen, but who want's to pay nearly $600 for one?

That's something I was waiting for. I thought the iPod Photo was really cool and be really nice for me. I take digital photos a lot for fun but before the iPod wasn't any use instant viewing or importing. This however seems to correct that problem and has me interested again.

At very least it should have been compatible with the Belkin card reader (and the photos then should have shown up in the interface).

That stopped it being useful for even photographers, who potentially would have actually paid the exorbitant prices.

Sorry, I don't have any facts on it. However, it does appear not to be a flop, but at the very least, just not that popular.

My interperatation is that Apple should've released it with video. Even though there isn't much content, yet, competition is releasing video players, and I think consumers who are in the market for an iPod Photo are saying, "Despite their irresistable sexiness, I think I'll stay ahead of the game and get a video player, not the iPod photo". I just think Apple's a bit behind in that one respect.

Nonetheless, the rest of the iPod line appears to be soaring. Blue iPod Mini's can't be found, and there are iPod shortages on major retailers like Amazon. Coupled with the announcement today of a new 6GB Mini, and a price slash of the 4GB mini, and I don't think Apple's in any trouble. The reduced-price 30GB Photo may also help the sales of the Photo units.

-Gabe

With the price, it's not targeted as the mass iPod. It's still the best iPod I've ever owned. Just like PowerMacs don't sell as lower-priced Macs in the range. A flop? Hardly.

I simply needed the space...60GB for music - Over 7000 songs and counting, if only iTunes would downsample songs as they went on to the iPod like MusicMatch used to do when I was on Windows....the photo option has actually been pretty cool too for parties. I attend my fair share and I am a photographer. So it has been a great thing to have going in the background.

$450 for a 60gig ipod photo sounds nice to me.
I bought a 20gig a few years ago for about the same price.
The ipod color photo would look alot better in my car

I tried to talk myself into one around Christmass, but the screen is a little too small for my 50+ year old eyes. Being able to show them on a TV or with a projector is a plus. I just can't see myself passing the iPod iphoto around to show pictures. The thumbnails to me are almost useless. It priced so close to the mini it is hard to justify it for just music and pictures.

calliex

Not a fan of the all in one device. For several reasons. Not the least of which is downtime. It *will* break. You would then be out several devices. Besides... Each level of complexity adds more time to start the device, get to know the device, increase the size of the device, increase the power draw of the device, probably increase the heat output of the device, increase the complexity of the interface of the device, etc., etc., etc.

Imagine trying to cram my 10x optical, damn nice digi-cam into an ipod with cellular service and a messaging-capable keyboard.

No thanks.

Wow, did I screw up. THe previous post was supposed to end up in the "Does the world really need an all in one" thread.

How the *HELL* did that happen? That must have been on SERIOUS beer I had. (sigh)

The iPod you want is around $400. The iPod you get today for $400 is way better than what you got two years ago for $400 (and more), but... that's where the prices on it have been. Again, alternatives, but I'd venture to say the $300 - $400 full sized iPods are still the meat and potato sellers of the iPod family.

chornbe said:
Or, to be topical... the iPod you want is around $400. The iPod you get today for $400 is way better than what you got two years ago for $400 (and more), but... that's where the prices on it have been. Again, alternatives, but I'd venture to say the $300 - $400 full sized iPods are still the meat and potato sellers of the iPod family.

I believe it is actually the iPod mini that has been their biggest seller. I heard that somewhere, that they sell 2 or 3 mini's for every 1 regular iPod.

Back