How Can I configure OS 10.2 so that I can use a cable modem and Road Runner?

rickd1010

Registered
I have just upgraded an IMac G4 15" to OS 10.2 in the hopes of being ti use Road Runner on the OSX platform. The problem sems to be that 10.2 does not have any configuration for DHPC. How can I get my IMac to recognize the modem and the server?

Yep. And you have to set your router for dhcp as well. I ran Road Runner on an iMac 800 MhZ 15" running 10.2.8. Make sure your 10.2 is upgraded all the way to 10.2.8.

rickd1010 said:
The problem sems to be that 10.2 does not have any configuration for DHPC.
All versions of Mac OS X have DHCP support... and 10.2's version isn't that complicated.

Attachments

• dhcp.jpg
    dhcp.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 9
Thnx everyone for the quick replies. I will look into this as soon as I get home from work tonight. I really hope it's that easy. I have been using OS 9.2 since I got the computer because I could n't get it configured in the original OS10.1 that came on the computer. Thnx again.
Rick

I hate to be the one to let you all know but neither the Imac's version of 10.2 or the version that I am running on my G4 dual (10.2.9) have the DHCP support. I have not done the upgrades on the IMac yet because I don't have internet accessability yet do to this problem but the Quicksilver is online. I checked both systems today for the DHCP window and neither one of them has it. Now I know that ppl were running Road Runer on Mac before version 10.3 so if anyone out there can remember how to get that to work I would greatly appreciate it.
Thnx,
Rick

... neither the Imac's version of 10.2 or the version that I am running on my G4 dual (10.2.9) have the DHCP support. ...
This is simply not true.

Lauch System Preferences.
Click the Network preferences pane.
Select Show: Built-in Ethernet
Click the TCP/IP tab.
Select Configure IPv4: Using DHCP

Set up a Location in the apple menu. I'd name it "Road Runner". There, under "Ethernet" you'll find the dhcp configuration. Set it for DHCP.

Once again thnx for the quick replies. But the OS 10.2 on the IMac does not have the DHCP option even when I have "built-in ethernet" selected. My version of 10.2.9 does have it, however, so now I am even more confused. Is it possible that the intenet connect did not upgrade when I upgraded teh OS to 10.2?

rickd1010 said:
I hate to be the one to let you all know but neither the Imac's version of 10.2 or the version that I am running on my G4 dual (10.2.9) have the DHCP support. I have not done the upgrades on the IMac yet because I don't have internet accessability yet do to this problem but the Quicksilver is online. I checked both systems today for the DHCP window and neither one of them has it.
Then you are the only person in the world to have a version of Mac OS X (including all versions of 10.x) that doesn't have DHCP.

Now I know that ppl were running Road Runer on Mac before version 10.3 so if anyone out there can remember how to get that to work I would greatly appreciate it.
Thnx,
Rick
My screen shot on the networking panel is from this very system I'm posting from (running 10.2.8). I've been using Road Runner for years and still have two systems on my network running 10.2.8 today... both with DHCP.

It is there... look again.

I work with this stuff daily (even the really old stuff) and know that DHCP is there.

But if you think I'm wrong, post a screen shot of what you are seeing (or not seeing, as the case maybe).

RacerX - I would love to be abel to post a screen shot for you but since this is on my wife's computer and I cannot transmit in OS 10 from her machine I can't think of a way to get that screenshot to you. I agree with ¥ou about being the only person with OS 10 that doesn't have that support with is why i stated t his convo in the first place. I am questioning whether or not my upgrade was sucessful as much as how to get it to work. And BTW, you are right about me running 10.2.8. Don't know what I was thinking ther but it is early. Anyhow I am going to try another upgrade to Tiger for her tomorrow and see if this doesn't fix the problem. I'll keep everyone updated. Thnx again for all the help .
Rick

I just wanted to thank everyone that jumped to my aid on this one. All of your suggestions were most helpful. I took the advice to change the location ini the network settings and Bahdah-bing bahdah-boom Bob's your uncle!!!! The Imac is now functioning great on OS 10.2.8 and Road Runner. Thanks to everyone that responded.

Rick

Back