How can I have a one-click button in OS X to 'restart into bootcamp windows XP' ?

matt9b

Registered
SHORT VERSION:

How can I have a one-click button in OS X to 'restart into bootcamp windows XP' ?

LONG VERSION:

I have bootcamp running windows XP on my mac pro.

Apple have made a simple button in Windows to 'restart in Mac OS X'. This is great and really fast to do. But for some reason, they forgot to do this in in OS X.

When I'm in OS X, if I want to restart into windows the , I have to do either of the following:

a.) Click the apple icon, click 'restart', click confirm 'restart', wait for the mac to shut down, wait around holding down the option key to bring up a startup disk menu, then when it appears, click the arrow below Windows.

b.) Click on 'system preferences' in the dock, then click on 'start up disk', then click on 'windows', then click on 'restart...', then confirm 'restart'.

I want a simple one-click 'restart in windows' button that I can click in OS X, just like the one-click 'restart in mac os x' button in windows.

No, I'm not interested in using VMware. I have it and use it in conjunction with everything else. Just a simple 'restart in Windows' button will do the trick.

No I'm not interested in any 'just use mac os x' responses. I'm forced to use both native windows and mac for work. A simple 'restart in windows' button will do the trick nicely.

Yes, I have tried using the automator to record an action, but apparently it insists on showing the mouse playing it all back... and all you can do is speed it up x 10, you can't turn the 'show mouse movements' option off, nor can you just make the automator workflow into a one-click button, since I can find no way to select 'automator runner' as the default application to run the workflow, and placing the workflow in the dock just opens it in the automator, so then you have to click 'play'. Just quite messy and unprofessional in front of clients. So, again, a simple one-click button in the dock will do the trick.

Hopely I have caught out most who will try to put this thread off course.

I'm amazed apple didn't think of this simple thing before- I suppose I shouldn't get surprised any more.

Any ideas anyone?

Okay, I'm a long standing apple customer. I have paid quite a lot for 3 years apple care, and was told in the apple shop that apple would answer my questions on how to use OS X. Having had many bad experiences with apple in the past, I thought I would give them another chance. I gave them a call to ask, and their repsonse was a quite abrupt man saying 'you have a macbook pro and a mac pro. You have only purchased apple care for one of these machines. I can't offer support for you without charging you. There's nothing to show me that you're on your macbook pro or mac pro. It just doesn't work that way.'. I was shocked, and asked to speak to his colleage. His colleague then said 'this is kinda a useage call. We kinda don't kinda help you with kinda useage - only with a kinda hardware or kinda software technical kinda problem.'...

I asked for their names, so I could send in a complaint, and the man refused to give me their full names.

I think this is the last time I call apple, and the very last time I will purchase apple care. I will make every effort to go back to PCs as soon as I can learn the relevant PC software.

Incredible.

In the meantime, any help as to finding a way to make this simple button much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had a single, bad experience with Apple. It's not typical, that's for sure.

It sounds like you have your mind made up, so the only thing I can say is, "Have fun with your Windows."

Sorry to hear you had a single, bad experience with Apple. It's not typical, that's for sure.

It sounds like you have your mind made up, so the only thing I can say is, "Have fun with your Windows."

As I said, it's not one single bad experience, but thanks for your constructive input.

While not a "one-click" solution (this may be a three-click solution), you can alias the Startup Disk system preference pane and place it on your desktop, easing the process required to access it:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080417063522778

Here's a link to an application (BootChamp) that puts a menu in your menubar, allowing you to have an easy way to automatically reboot into Windows:

http://www.kainjow.com/

All this found with 15 seconds of Googling. Is that more constructive?

Back