How can I use CUBE Speakers on a G4 desktop ?

djbeta

Registered
How can I use CUBE speakers on a G4 desktop (quiksilver) ?
(they're the harman kardon round Apple speakers that originally shipped with the cubes)

Is there a USB driver I can download somewhere ?

(I plugged them into the usb port but the computer's sound still comes from the internal speaker.. and I see nothing in the Sound Preference Pane)

Are those speakers USB? I could have sworn they used a mini-headphone plug or something like that.

Did you try plugging them directly into a USB port on the back of the machine, or did you plug them into a hub?

yes.. the speakers are USB. I plugged them directly into the USB port on the G4

The speakers do have a mini jack coming off of them, but I'm quite sure that's for headphones... as there is no mini jack on the CUBE they were plugged into. FYI.. they were working on the CUBE. :)

Hmmm... about that mini-plug, is it male or female?

I don't think there are any drivers to get for those speakers -- if they're USB, they should work when you plug them in. Have you tried plugging them in and then restarting with them plugged in?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58676

The Apple USB (Universal Serial Bus) Speakers included with the Power Mac G4 Cube computer require more power to operate than is provided by a typical USB port. The USB ports of the Power Mac G4 Cube computer, and the following monitors with Apple Display Connector (ADC) have been enhanced to provide additional power:
Apple Cinema Display (ADC)
Apple Studio Display 17 (ADC)
Apple Studio Display LCD (ADC)

For this reason, you should only connect the speakers to one of the USB ports on the Power Mac G4 Cube computer, or monitor listed above. You should not connect them to the USB ports of any Apple keyboard, other Apple computer, or third-party USB device.

Damn you, teamteama! I just found that article and was coming back here to post it... hehe...

Sorry, djbeta, those only work on the Cube... :(

Well, the article says that the speakers should only be plugged directly into the computer or one of the supported monitors, so I don't think it would work. You can always try, though... no telling what they might do.

I don't think it would harm anything, but the risk you take is yours -- that article says don't do it.

Back