How come nobody mentioned this? ColdFusion on OSX?

Gedankenspiel

Registered
I usually visiti macromedia.com all the time but for the first time in a while I haven't and can you believe it - they release ColdFusion MX for OSX!!!!!

This is AMAZING news and I can't believe I haven't read the news in any forum on Macosx.com (which I check more frequently than macromedia.com).

The fact that Macromedia has released its Java based application server JRUN for MAC OSX opens a huge door to the Mac world. Finally Webobjects and PHP are not the only two application servers that can run on the Mac.

For me personally it means NO MORE WINDOWS! The only reason why I had an old Dell server around was so I could run ColdFusion on it and develop it on the Mac.

Anyone care to join the party? Whohooo!

G

Well, I for one think this great news, and thnx for bringing it my attention Gedankenspiel! Can't believe I haven't noticed this!

Woohoo!
Even though i havn't touched ColdFusion more than once i still think this is great news! :)

yahooo!!! macromedia now completely supports the mac with all its major products

web productivity enhanced

Can you clarify for me what the difference between CF and CF J2EE server is? It seems that CF is not available for the Mac, but CF J2EE is. I'm confused if there is a difference.

Also, although I know of CF, I don't know too much about it. Is it a newer version of Generator, or does it have broader applications?

Thanks for any info!

thats cool and all but i need three things
1) the server
2) the money to buy the server
3) the moey to but CF
it really isn't that cheep (over 1k ?)

Originally posted by slo
Can you clarify for me what the difference between CF and CF J2EE server is? It seems that CF is not available for the Mac, but CF J2EE is. I'm confused if there is a difference.

Also, although I know of CF, I don't know too much about it. Is it a newer version of Generator, or does it have broader applications?

Thanks for any info!

I think that ColdFusion standalone lets you run CF apps. ColdFusion J2EE lets you run CF apps on top of Java J2EE servers (like JRUN).

dani++

ColdFusion is a way of making websites, dynamic websites I think.
I wanted to learn CF but I needed a PC... now that there is a mac version I can get my department to buy me a copy and put it on my work G4 :D lol

Don't forget good old JSP and Tomcat!

JSP and custom tags are pretty similar to Cold Fusion as far as I'm aware (indeed isn't CF available now a JSP taglib kinda thing - the J2EE version???)

And best of all JSP/Tomcat is free.

I have it setup with a postgres db on my ibook and it runs sweetly.

To sum it all up: ColdFusion is an application server that allows you to deploy dynamic and database driven websites. It like .ASP from Microsoft except much easier.

JRUN is a Java based application server which does pretty much the same. The only difference is that you use J@EE Java and Java Beans to write your code. With Macromedia porting J2EE to the Mac it means that you can now run ColdFusion on ALL platforms that support Java and JRUN.

As to the price, JET, you can actuall download the FREE developer version of JRUN, install the FREE developer version of ColdFusion, and use it with a FREE mySQL database on your Mac. When you are ready to deploy an application simply use hosting services that start at $20 per month (I host my sites with hostmysite.com for $27.95 per month).

This is big news for 2 reasons:
1. Mac users have access to another, very powerful application server. They no longer have to buy a PC and run a verison of CF on Windows.

2. Macromedia is heavily supporting the Apple platform for this and is opening the doors to asp's using Apple hardware.

Anyone care to light a celebration candle with me? ;)
Yippiiie

G
(4th day of extacy over CF)

If this IS true, I probably will drop PHP in an instant, but this page clearly says that the OS X Versions is "For development purposes only!"

Is there a press release or some other announcement that I missed?

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
ColdFusion is a way of making websites, dynamic websites I think.
I wanted to learn CF but I needed a PC... now that there is a mac version I can get my department to buy me a copy and put it on my work G4 :D lol
As far as I can tell you can not "buy" and OS X version of ColdFusion...

There seems to be a J2EE one that you can use for "development"...

yea i don't think CF is coming to Mac. Just all this other stuff which i don't understand what is.

Twister

Unless I'm very mistaken, all you need to do is get CFMX for JRun and Jrun for MacOSX, and you'd have a production setup (as opposed to the developer download mentioned earlier).

The catch is the price. The price for a single-cpu setup is US$4298. For that kind of money, you can build a really nice PHP/Apache server (on whatever your platform of choice is).

Originally posted by kenny
The catch is the price. The price for a single-cpu setup is US$4298. For that kind of money, you can build a really nice PHP/Apache server (on whatever your platform of choice is).
I currently have 8 Solaris boxes at work running the $5000 version of ColdFusion.

I would not want to pay that much for my Mac at home, but the Linux one cost the same as Solaris. WinDoze has two versions, one of which is less.

Once you use ColdFusion you soon learn that it is EASILY worth $5k/server... Most of its competetors charge per CPU, so in comparison this is cheap.

We're doing the same thing where I work, so I understand the advantages of CF. We're deploying CFMX on WebSphere 5 (to which we already have licences), and we've got a number of discount schemes in place, so it doesn't cost us quite $5K/cpu.

I guess my point was that for an individual doing app development, the price is a bit steep for the non-development version. But, I guess that's the way it is for most commercial server software.

Yes, JRUN is the application server and you buy ColdFusion FOR JRUN. That's how licensing works. And it's true, the price is a bit steep but I look at it from a developer's perspective: I have a Tibook and can now do the development AND design work on the Mac. Try to develop Flash Remoting on a Mac - before it was impossible.

To be fair about pricing, Macromedia does not charge by the CPU but the enterprise version which comes with clustering DOES require additional licenses.

But the money I have saved by deploying quick CFMX apps vs. ASP or PHP would warrant a price tag three times as what it is now. Again, totally psyched here....

G

Back