how do i backup my CDs and my DVDs with my Superdrive?

supermonkey

Registered
do I need special software or does the software that comes with my iMac suffice? I am not sure about the procedure. So far I have little understanding about either procedure using the mac software ( i mean direct copies ) thanks!

basically you use disc copy (in the utilities folder) and make a disk image of the disk and then burn the image ont a new disk. I'm not sure if this works with audio/video

You can also use toast to create disc images of your originals and then burn them but I don't know how or if this would work with DVD Movies but everything else should work. This would be a better option than disc copy if you are trying to copy audio/video.

If you're not looking to make direct copies from CD to CD you can also just pop in the blank media.

A prompt will ask you if you wish to create a new disk.

Select the format you wish to burn and an icon will appear as if it were a mounted disk.

Copy all the files you want (size permitting) and atempt to eject the disk. You'll be prompted to cancel or burn.

Select Burn and you're done!

You Can't just copy a DVD, though... perhaps someone will figure out how to in the future, but for the time being, I believe it to be impossible to directly copy a DVD to a blank DVD-R disc.

i see, that is a disappointment re DVDs, what is this toast? is this a program i purchase, download, or comes on my computer? sorry for the newbieness.

To copy DVDs, I decrypt them with mactheripper (free), then shrink them with DVD remaster (about $50) to fit on regular DVDs. It works great, usually.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You Can't just copy a DVD, though... perhaps someone will figure out how to in the future, but for the time being, I believe it to be impossible to directly copy a DVD to a blank DVD-R disc.

Sure you can. Disk Utility, New Image, CD/DVD Master format. Once
the image is created, burn it. Works with both CDs and DVDs (at least
the DVDs that aren't copy protected).

Toast 7 Titanium will also do it (copy tab). Since I have two superdrives
in my Mac, copying just goes from one to the other. More convenient
than Disk Utility.

Guys, this thread is from 2002..... Searching is great but please check the date too ;)

::ha::

I was going to comment on that, but I figured someone else might...thanks ora. :p

Back