How do I change Apache Startup

MidnightJava

Registered
I have Apache HTTP Server, which came with the OS (10.3.9). Recently I upgraded Apache HTTP Server to 1.3.34, and compiled it with mod_ssl. Now to start Apache, I run httpd or apachectl in a different location than before, and I give it the parameter startssl instead of start. I do this manually and everyhing is fine. But when the system starts up, it tries to run the old version of apache.

I can't figure out how the system is auto-starting apache in the first place. I looked in Library/Startup Items, and there is no entry there. Also looked in the Library folder for the user account, and there is no Startup Items folder there. I created a startup script for Tomcat server a few months ago, so I know how to do that for Apache HTTP Server; but I son't see how Apache server is starting up automatically, and therefore I'm not sure if it's a good idea to create a Startup Item entry without figuring that out first.

Anybody know how this works?

The old Apache may be starting because it's checked in the "Sharing" pane of the System Preferences. I don't know if there's a way to get the "Sharing" pane of the system preferences to start an Apache instance that's not installed in the default location.

Yeah, you're probably right. But that makes it really tough if there's no way to change the webserver app pointed to by the sharing pane. If I just turn off personal web sharing, it automatically turns off the firewall entry as well. Hopefully someone can tell me how to change the personal web server in the sharing pane, so I can point to the new version of apache I just installed.

Back