How do I compress something in the .rar format?

Uduckhead

Registered
Hi all,

The title basically explains my major question. I found one program to do this, but it involves some serious Terminal work and I've barely dealt with the Terminal in my Mac career. If simple .rar compression is not possible, what is the easiest method for .zip compression? I tried a program called "Compress" but after I compressed a file it wouldn't let me unzip it >_>.

Thanks again!

Uduckhead said:
Hi all,

The title basically explains my major question. I found one program to do this, but it involves some serious Terminal work and I've barely dealt with the Terminal in my Mac career. If simple .rar compression is not possible, what is the easiest method for .zip compression? I tried a program called "Compress" but after I compressed a file it wouldn't let me unzip it >_>.

Thanks again!
You might try this.

You sir, are awesome. Thanks a lot. It basically uses the program I downloaded but does all the complex Terminal work for me, very cool.

To answer your question about the ZIP compression, simply select any number of files/folders in the Finder, right-click (or Command-click) and select "Create Archive of..."

ElDiabloConCaca said:
To answer your question about the ZIP compression, simply select any number of files/folders in the Finder, right-click (or Command-click) and select "Create Archive of..."

Oh wow, great to know! Thanks!

If you are looking to make a .rar archive use this:
rar a archive_name file1 file2 file3 filex

Just use: man rar
to figure out how to use it more extensively

slooksterpsv said:
If you are looking to make a .rar archive use this:
rar a archive_name file1 file2 file3 filex

Just use: man rar
to figure out how to use it more extensively
Doesn't exist on my Mac OS X 10.4.2 system... are you sure you didn't manually install that?

I'm sure, I haven't used it on Tiger, I used it on Panther. Hmm... when I bring up my laptop when my mom gets back in like 5 min. I'll check and post. But I know panther had it for sure. What happens when you type in man rar

EDIT: I did download software - http://www.rarlabs.com/rar/rarosx-3.5.b5.tar.gz thats what I used, and I put it in my bin folder.

Sorry for the confusion

rar's not part of the BSD subsystem in Tiger. Dunno about Panther and earlier, but I guess you've got to manually install it in order to use it.

Apart from Terminal and freeware solutions, there's also StuffIt Deluxe, which handles all your compression needs beautifully. Sure, it costs, but it's good.

Back