How do I convert

DeltaMac

Tech
from a 1024 x 768 JPEG, to a 300 DPI TIFF file. I'm assembling a cookbook to send to a publisher, and want to have a picture on the front cover. I have a good quality JPEG from a digital cam. The publisher wants an image file in either TIFF or EPS in 300 DPI ( This is the question - How do I account for the 300 dpi?) GraphicsConverter or other image converters make a TIFF that is way too big. The original JPEG is 392 KB, the converted TIFF is 2.2 MB and I'd prefer to put it on a floppy, so???

TIFFs are uncompressed image files and therefore take up tons of room. All graphics programs make large TIFF files.

The best way is to zip the file up, I suppose. See if they'll take it. Since the original image is uncompressed, this means that a .zip will pack the file size down a lot. It will probably still be too big to fit on a floppy though.

-EDIT- As for the DPI thing, I only know how to do it in Photoshop, so...

In Graphic Converter, you can go to Picture > Resolution or press Cmd-Option-R and select a new size for your picture. To keep it from becoming blurry and whatnot, you should uncheck the box, but you will end up with a picture that's only 3 x 2.5 inches for a 1024x768 at 300 DPI. You can send your publisher a TIFF with LZW compression that is about half the size and the same quality as well.

I would check with your publisher first on compressing the image. Many do not want/like you to do this.

Also make sure the final size (after conversion) of 3.42in by 2.56in will work with the project. If this is going on the cover, that's small unless the book is letter-half (5.5x8.5) or so. If the size won't do, get a better camera or use a standard and scan. A 3.5mp digital camera should give you a 6.74in by 5.89in image @ 300dpi. A good rule of thumb is divide the res by the dpi (1024/300=3.42in) for an estimate. Make sure your image is 100% size you want it in the document at 300dpi.

You may want to sharpen (very subtle) the image, and maybe increase the brightness a tad while you're at it. Make sure you convert it to CMYK also.

If you're going to do this often, invest in Photoshop.

Appreciate all the answers, this is something that I rarely get involved in. I knew there would be somebody that could answer my simple query, and Great response, thanks!

Back