How do I get my securevault homedrive sparseimage back?

siculars

Registered
So I got a new iMac and attached my powerbook g4 via target disk mode and was able to load up my home drive via the secure sparseimage located in "/Users/myusername" on the target disk in my powerbook. Well, I hastily disconnected the powerbook without unmounting the sparseimage (which has all my photos and itunes music in it). Now when I boot up the powerbook and try to log in I cant. So I reattached to the iMac and took a look. Turns out I can read the disk and all is well except for the fact that the "myusername" (nor the sparseimage) folder is no longer in the /Users folder. I successfully verified and repaired the pbook disk via disk utility on the iMac (no problems reported).

Clearly I didnt pooch the entire disk (I can read/write everything else and the pbook boots). My question is : Which utility can I use to get my sparseimage back?

Thanks for any help,
Alex

ok, figured it out. via the imac i used terminal to view the /users directory on the powerbook via target disk mode. once in /users i did an "ls -al" to list all and hidden files. my username was there as a hidden directory so instead of "myusername" it was listed as ".myusername". then i did a "mv .siculars siculars" (which renamed the directory) and was able to access the "myusername.sparseimage" file and mount it. odd.

not sure what i will do about this situation just yet. i like the fact that the files are encrypted but perhaps having a regular filesystem and multiple sparseimages within the regular filesystem for secure files would be the better thing to do.

Back