How do i get text out of a PDF?

twister

Howdy
Is there any programs that will let me get text out of a PDF? Acrobat lets me select it but not copy it. Preview says i need a password.

Anyone have any ideas how i can get the text out?

Twister

Sounds like the PDF has been password protected to guard against specifically what you're trying to do. I've encountered this many times and still haven't found a solution.

I couldn't find any reference to either of the two previous commands in the 10.2 install. is this something that's available elsewhere?

This solution may not be the best for you but I had an app that came with my scanner (only <=OS9) that could scan directly to PDF... a cool functionality of it was it could load a PDF and use OCR on it. It created a text document of the text in the PDF.

For OS X I have seen a util that will allow you to copy text out of protected PDF's but I can't remember where it came from or what it's name was.

This protection is EXACTLY against what you're trying to do ! And it's a good protection.

If the Text Selection Tool/Lasso does not work in Acrobat Reader, you're f###ed.

It's encrypted, you cannot copy it.

You would need to print it to a postscript file, and then use an OCR software to read it.

Maybe you can do something with printing to PDF, but I suspect they though about that and you still cannot copy it.

the postscript stuff is unecessary...

open it in Illustrator and have at it, or open it in Preview and save as a PDF...or print it to Preview...that pretty much nukes all the security....

Back