How do i partition external hard drive for osx and xp

blick

Registered
hello...

i wanna partition my maxtor one touch external harddrive so hallf is pc compatible and half mac.

im running osx tiger...

the catch is that i need the mac paritioned space to be osx journaled and the pc half jjust ntfs or somthing, cos i need to be able to read and write from each ...

thanks

Try formatting the drive with OS X, making one partition "HFS+ (Journaled)" and the other partition "Unallocated".

Then, format the "Unallocated" partition to whatever format you like (FAT32, NTFS) on a Windows computer.

Using NTFS on the Windows partition will only allow Mac OS X to read the NTFS partition, not write to it. NTFS is read-only under Mac OS X. If you would like your Macintosh to be able to read and write to the Windows partition, use FAT32.

also, although MacOS can read (but not write to) NTFS, windows can't read, let alone write HFS+ Journaled disks. not without something like Macdisk installed on the windows box, but that's not cheap, or common.

i would, in this situation (depending on what your use of it is going to be), just have the whole disk FAT32. in windows it would require the odd defrag (NTFS being more modern), and Tiger wouldn't be able to spotlight index it, but all files would be readable on both platforms.

hey

alas i need to be able to record and playback to the hd in pro tools, which doesnt support Fat32...
thanks

Back