How do I press Command+F2 on a Windows keyboard

tjementum

Registered
I have a setup with two 27" iMac's where I use one of them as secondary screen for the other.

I'm running Windows/BootCamp on both machines, and therefore have Windows keyboards connected. To activate "Target Display Mode" on the secondary screen on the secondary screen (iMac in my case) I need to press Command+F2, on the mac keyboard (when booted in OSX).

What keys do I need to press on a windows keyboard to press Command+F2?

I wish.

I believe I tried every combination Win+F2, Ctrl+F2, Alt+F2, Ctrl+Alt+F2, Shift+F2, Right Alt + Shift + Left Ctrl + F2 etc.

Nothing works.

What I'm after is something like "Alt+ Numeric 153", or maybe something like a special SharpKey setting

Hmmm... maybe it's not the keyboard at all, but the way you have it set up. Windows Key - F2 is the direct translation on a Windows keyboard for Command - F2, so that's strange that it doesn't work.

Is everything completely within specifications, as outlined here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

Namely, a male-to-male mini DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort cable (with no adapters in-between)?

Also, on the Windows-running iMac, does Windows "see" the TDM iMac as a secondary monitor?

It works perfect if I use the Mac keyboard, I do it every day.

My goal is to not have two keyboards on my desk. The only reason for me to have the Mac keyboard on the desk is to activate "Target Display Mode"

Ah, ok. I don't have a similar setup to test with -- the only thing I know is that the internets agree that Windows - F2 is the translation, so beyond that, I can't explain why that doesn't work.

Are these wired Windows keyboards? Wireless? Connected via USB hub, or connected directly to the computer? Sometimes having a keyboard connected through a hub instead of directly into a USB port on the computer itself can cause a bit of wonkiness.

I'v tried with a old school wired usb keyboard. Still doesn't work.

Thanks for tying to help.

Guess I'll have to live with two keyboards :-(

Back