How do I recover an iPad backup using Time Machine?

applemaz

Registered
I have a Time Machine backup of my computer from Saturday the 12th. On Thursday the 17th I lost some data from an app on my iPad. I have disabled automatic sync of the iPad when it is connected to iTunes and I know already how to reset my iPad to factory settings.

What I need to know is where the Saturday the 12th backup of my iPad resides in Time Machine so I can bring that file forward into iTunes. Once I do this, I can force a sync of the iPad which restores all the data as of 12 March.

Can someone give specifics on this so I can go through the steps of recovering my iPad to the date of 12 March?

Multiple backups of your device should be kept -- you should be able to right-click your iPad icon in iTunes, select "Restore from backup" (or some similarly-worded option), then choose from a list of backups that have been made.

If that doesn't work, or doesn't show the backup that you'd like to restore from, the backups should be located here:

/Users/[yourusername]/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

The level of success you have actually dragging a backup from Time Machine back into that folder and being able to actually restore an iPad from it is beyond my knowledge. I don't know if that would be a "smooth" operation or if it would somehow "confuse" iTunes.

Back