How do I setup imap with Windows Mail and Mac Mail?

What?

Mac OS X's Mail.app supports IMAP accounts natively. Simply select "IMAP" when you're setting up your account.

I don't know what "Windows Mail" is -- is that a program on Microsoft Windows? If so, I'm sure it also supports IMAP accounts.

If you're asking how to set up your own mail server, that's something completely different -- and a lot more involved.

Your Mac's e-mail program (Mail) doesn't generally care what is being used as the IMAP server. So all that you have to do is set up IMAP in Apple Mail.

Setting up IMAP in Apple Mail
http://superfluousbanter.org/archives/2007/04/setting-up-imap-in-apple-mail/

Setting Apple Mail up to work with a Google IMAP account is somewhat different:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1747527

thanks. I've heard imap is slower than pop3, do you know the delay in receiving emails?

thanks. I've heard imap is slower than pop3, do you know the delay in receiving emails?
How in the World would anybody know? Nobody has a direct connection between their mail provider's server and their computer. There are any number of things that can slow a network. Someone may be running a mail server on an old TRS-80 Model 12. Long story short: There is absolutely no evidence that there is a measurable difference in the speed of IMAP compared to POP3.

How in the World would anybody know? Nobody has a direct connection between their mail provider's server and their computer. There are any number of things that can slow a network. Someone may be running a mail server on an old TRS-80 Model 12. Long story short: There is absolutely no evidence that there is a measurable difference in the speed of IMAP compared to POP3.

thanks, where could I find the settings to use imap with hotmail?

You can't use IMAP with Hotmail. You have to use POP3. Hotmail does not support IMAP.

Detailed instructions for setting up a mail client for Hotmail with POP3 access can be found with super-simple searches on Microsoft's Live website.

Back