how do I use carbon copy cloner?

Dlatu1983

Prime Minister
I'm trying to put the entire contents of my HD onto another Mac (I'm buying a new one, and I need to transfer my data over)...has anyone ever used Carbon Copy Cloner? Or could I just drag my Library, Movies, Applications, and Music folders over onto the new mac (using target disc mode), and overwrite the folders already on there?

Yes, use CCC. DO NOT DRAG the files over. It doesn't work in OS X because of file privileges and the number of invisible files.

Chris

Yup. Just connect the two machines with a firewire cable, start up the target machine (your new one) in Firewire Disc Target Mode (hold down 'T' when booting it after connecting it to the other machine), and the drive should show up on the other machine's desktop. Initialize, or reformat the target drive with Disc utility, then start CarbonCopyCloner (After reading the instructions thoroughly!), and clone your complete boot volume to the new machine's blank drive.
Shut down both machines when it's all done (it WILL take a long time). Unplug the Firewire cable, and restart your new Mac holding down the 'X' key to force OSX startup from the local drive, in case it doesn't know where to boot from (set it to your new boot volume in system prefs, assuming everything had gone according to plan and your system is successfully cloned onto the new machine, allowing normal start up & login).

NOTE: If you have multiple partitions, and alias or symlinks to them (you probably don't have any of the latter - or know what they are - if you are asking how to use CCC, so you should be fine), they might need relinking. Or the other volumes might need cloning to respective new volumes on your new machine also - take this into account when initializing your target machine.

Running a prebinding operation (the process you see as "Optimizing System Performance" when updating OSX) would be a VERY good idea as soon as possible (there are a few third party tools to force this: SpeedmeupPro, or Cocktail for example), as would a permissions repair, to ensure everything gets settled in correctly.

JeffCGD do you know a way to get the same results except over a network?

I want to save a disk image of an OS X machine on a server computer and schedule it to clone onto other OS X computers remotely through IP Addresses.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sharper.

The thing is....I'm not going to have my current computer when I get the new one. In reality, all I need are my safari bookmarks, and all my iTunes songs and preferences (the last time I did this, I had to redo all the playlists and equalizer settings...which is NOT fun when you have 5gb of music). What folders do I have to save to get all this info for my iTunes? I'm sure I can just export my safari bookmarks somehow. All my applications can just be saved on a CD, since you just have to drag an app to the Applications folder to install it, am I correct?

Carbon Copy Cloner will back just what you want it to. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! Sorry for shouting but it says right in the instructions how you can back up only what you want. Just read the READ ME.

You seem to know your stuff,
I am wanting to use Carbon Copy Cleaner to make an external hard drive bootable and a GUID partition, then clone all of my Intel-Mac Tiger disk to the external.
1. Verify that I can boot to the external

2. Re-partition the internal Mac drive to a GUID partion to accept Snow Leopard.

3. Boot and run the pc from the External with Snow Leopard on it, from there make the internal Mac drive partitioned as GUID and re-clone all of the original date from the external back to the internal mac drive.

Summary:
1. Use Disk Utility to erase and partition the external as GUID Extended (Journaled)

2. Clone the internal Mac hard drive with Tiger 10.4 internal drive contents to the External set up as GUID. Re-Boot to be sure your external can boot correctly.

3. Now that the external iis partitioned as GUID we can now upgrade the external Tiger 10.4 with the new Snow Leopard 10.6.3. If all is successful now the external hard drive that was cloned with the Mac Tiger info and then uupgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.3 is bootable and useable.

4. Now format the internal Mac hard drive with Disk Utility as GUID and Extended (journaled).

5. Use Cloner to clone the newly upgraded external drive to the newly formatted and GUID partitioned internal mac hardrive.

6. Now we should have an upgraded Mac Book Pro that shipped with Tiger 10.4 (non Guid) to a Mac Book Pro that has now been upgraded with Snow Leopard partitioned as GUID and all the data from the backup on the external.

Does this sound about right.

Can this also be done with SuperDuper, only reason I am asking is I am more familiar with super duper.

Thank you all in advance for what ever help you can provide

Tory

At first I was wondering why we had:

4e3eea7f.gif
T3h D34dly Thrad Necromancy!11!
4e3eea7f.gif

and feared SPAM, but I see you have a real question. I am not sure I understand the first part, so I will go to the second:

Yes, you can clone with SuperDuper!. You can boot off the clone and then have it clone to your new drive whilst you do whatever foul unmentionable things you do :)

Now if I understand correctly, I have never tried doing what I think you are doing--cloning a lower OS to an Intel-Macbook. However, I think the easiest thing to do is the following:

1. Clone your current Tiger to the Ext-HD with SD.
2. LOAD Snow Leopard on the new drive--format, load, all of that.
3. Have your Ext-HD connected.
4. The Installer should at the end of things ask if you wish to transfer a current account. You should be able to do that directly with the Migration Assistant. That should bring everything over onto Snow Leopard.

Now, you will probably have to update a lot of software to their Snow Leopard levels.

--J.D.

Back