How do you buy shares in AAPL?

DJ Rep

How Interesting...
Hi, I have been toying with the idea of buying some shares in AAPL for I while now and with the rumors of this headless wonder really shaping up and generally apple doing very well it seems like now would be a good time to buy some, however I have not the first idea on how to actually going about buying some shares. Basically I am in the UK and I want to buy x number of shares, all them stock holders tell me how you did it.
Cheers
PS I know this is in the wrong place but I'm not quite sure where to put it
:D

first, if you dont know how to buy shares i'd question your ability to determine if it is a good buy to begin with. that aside, find a broker and place the order. you can do the online way (scottrade, etrade, etc.) or go find a shop somewhere. good luck.

cfleck said:
first, if you dont know how to buy shares i'd question your ability to determine if it is a good buy to begin with. that aside, find a broker and place the order. you can do the online way (scottrade, etrade, etc.) or go find a shop somewhere. good luck.

You've got to start somewhere! I use schwab online, but they are pricey and have a very high minimum to start the account.

Read this:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_20/b3883121_mz070.htm

http://biz.yahoo.com/edu/cb/ir_cb4.ir.html

http://www.investingonline.org/gso/broker_ratings.html

http://www.investorguide.com/trading.html

I bought a couple back when I heard in this forum that Apple had just paid off the last of its debts. That was back in January. It was trading at $23, now it's at $63.

sure sure. not saying he/she shouldn't start, just maybe consult someone more knowledgable in the area. those articles are nice and all, but its not really as simple as reading some recomendations and saying "buy"!

This is a horrible time to buy shares in Apple. The best time was a couple years ago when they were $15.

According to some analysts, Apple's stock is set at a target of $100. If that's true, now is a great time to buy. Sure, when it was at $15 was a better time to buy, but that doesn't make now a bad time to buy.

Arden said:
This is a horrible time to buy shares in Apple. The best time was a couple years ago when they were $15.

That kind of thinking would have kept me from some of my best investments! (Of course, it also would have kept me from some of my worst as well!)

Damn the analysts, full speed ahead!

DJ Rep said:
generally apple doing very well it seems like now would be a good time to buy some… :D

(definitely do not take this as advice nor a recommendation; just a disclaimer before I comment!)

Your logic is exactly backwards when it comes to the stock market. You need to buy low and sell high and buying when a stock is doing really well is a horrible investment unless you are in the middle of a huge upswing; even then you never know what it's going to top out at.

Are you a short term or long term investor? Answering this question will tell you whether to buy apple stock now or not. A short term investor would lean toward not getting it (the buy low, sell high principle) and the long term investor is more interested in buying a strong company that's going to be around a while.

Hope this helps! :cool:

But even then you should wait to buy until after the next trade show when the stock will dip yet again.

It is like clockwork.

I'm mildly interested in why you want to buy Apple stock at all. Sure, they're a great company with a great product, but in the end, it's just a computer, not a way of life. Many people buy into everything Apple does without considering that they're acting like MacMacs.

So, again, why do you want to buy Apple stock? Is it to trade later and try to make a profit? If so, you'd be better off studying the market for a while and investing in a number of low-priced companies that seem like they'll take off. Is it for long-term benefits, like dividends? Again, same thing. Is it so you can be a shareholder and support the company? That's probably the best reason I can think of.

Anyway, my own recommendation would be to spend the money on a new toy, but if you still want to buy shares of Apple, check out E-trade.

You're 16 according to you profile (if I did the math right), which is your first problem. You can't own stock solely in your name. You'd have to have it jointly owned with someone over 18 as a custodian until your 18th birthday.

You definitely need to consult a pro on it, or at the very least spend some time reading up on the subject and learning the do's and don't of the stock market. Anything can happen there and it's not the safest way to invest money...there's always a risk involed and it's in the middle of the scale when compared to other investments. Not worth it, IMHO.

I used to trade heavily until I got burned bad multiple times. Then I started day trading for a while, but it wasn't worth the effort when you looked at the gain and not to mention it was highly risky. The only stock I hold now is a remenent from my childhood in a public utility, a small amount at that, which I never had the time to liquidate.

Now the vast majority of stuff I do (investment-wise) is in Real Estate, some of which I used my own money and a vast majority of which I'm using someone else's to make me money. It's nice and safe, has good gains for almost no work involved, and easier than you'd think to do.

If you just want 1 share of it as a 'cool' thing to have, then take a look at OneShare. They sell 1 share of a company you choose for the stock price plus a fee ($39 or so). They'll up your price by offering frames for somewhat outraegous prices (Brushed Metal one for $64 for the Apple stock, more for others though probably due to size of the certificate) if you so choose. You can get one in a free paper frame, but it's not an option on the Apple stock. Cheapest frame for it is $34.00.

Stock
$63.00

Frame
$34.00

OneShare Fee
$39.00

TOTAL COST:
$136.00

I remember when I was in high school before the first line of iMacs came out. (I had sold off my PowerMac for a Gateway but I still followed Apple news once in a while.) I was thinking that the iMacs were going to be big... the first truly stylish computer. (Not really my taste, but anyway...) It was this same time that my business class was studying stocks and other investments, so we had to pick a few stocks to follow for the rest of the semester. During that time the iMacs went on sale and I noticed that the stock had gone up significantly and that the stores always seemed to be out of stock. (I don't have the historical data... but I think that it had gone up to 16 from some low number very quickly, I may be wrong, but I remember the number 16.)

So I seriously looked into buying some. I couldn't afford a broker (either could my parents) and it was still the dark days of the Internet and online stock trading was new. The best one I found required a minimum $2000 investment... ouch! It's too bad I didn't have that at the time because I do remember that the stock split in there somewhere and definitely would have been a great investment in the long run. :)

Now though, it's just too high to get involved with, for me anyway.

Yup - it wasn't such a bad time to buy when dj rep was asking, was it?

They've gone up $13.23 per share since then - I know, because I bought at exactly that time!

Fingers crossed for a good 1st quarter for AAPL! :)

http://game.marketwatch.com

The above site is what became of "Virtual Stock Exchange." It's a web based "game" my friends and I use to play in high school. Basically you are given virtual money, and you buy stocks in real life companies, the numbers are all real world, the cash is just a number, no real funds exchanged.

Great practice, should be open to anyone all ages. It's a bit unrealistic, there's an options page to set game prefs, so you can basically start your portfolio off with a million bucks and buy hundreds of thousands of shares in Apple.

Back