How do you know if Quartz Extreme is enabled?

cellfish

Depressed as hell
I have an iBook 600 with an ATI Radeon 16 MB on it. I figure it's enough to run Quartz Extreme, but I might be wrong. Is there any way if enabling Quartz Extreme if it is possible and if it has already been enabled, can anyone tell me how I am supposed to know?

Andre

You can also see it on the mouse cursor. If it has a drop shadow, QE is enabled :)

Unfortunately, having a shadow on the mouse pointer is _not_ a guarantee that Quartz Extreme is enabled.

Doug

Also, if you set the desktop image to change regularly; if you have Quartz Extreme, it will fade the images, if you don't it just switches them.

Originally posted by dktrickey
Unfortunately, having a shadow on the mouse pointer is _not_ a guarantee that Quartz Extreme is enabled.

Doug

I second that -- I've got a G4/400 Yikes! machine -- NO AGP slot at all -- and I've got the mouse shadow. Also some white outline around the mouse pointer as well... in fact, I have ALL the indicators that people claim Quartz Extreme exhibits when it's active, but I have a machine that does NOT support Quartz Extreme in any way whatsoever. It is physically impossible for my machine to support Quartz Extreme, so these indicators do NOT tell you if Quartz Extreme is active.

As far as I know, there are no visual indicators that Quartz Extreme is active, other than the desktop pictures fading instead of instantly changing when you set your desktop pic to change on intervals.

And, a little off-topic.... has anybody found a hack or terminal command to turn the cursor shadow on? My 'Book won't support QE, but I still want the shadow... it looks so classy. :D

Here, how's this one? That application (the QE Checker) says it's enabled, and I don't have a drop shadow on my mouse cursor. I do have the fading desktop thing - which is pretty cool, I didn't know about that till I read it here - I just tried it out. I should pay more attention to what's new with stuff.... :D

Back