How do you quiet the fan on a 12" Powerbook?

shagless

Registered
Recently I have noticed an increase in how much I hear my fan on my 12" Powerbook g4. Analog video out version. Is there anything I should look at to quiet it down? When I first bought this computer it rarely kicked on the fan unless things were really hot. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
-Tom

shagless said:
Recently I have noticed an increase in how much I hear my fan on my 12" Powerbook g4. Analog video out version. Is there anything I should look at to quiet it down? When I first bought this computer it rarely kicked on the fan unless things were really hot. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
-Tom

I think I'd be happy that the fan is spinning. I've had many problems with my powerbook because it is overheating and now that the fan is spinning it's not as bad.

By recently, do you mean after you installed 10.3.2? There are certain things that have changed in 10.3.2 to prevent the PowerBook from getting so hot, and one is that the fan is more sensitive to heat, causing it to run more often than with previous releases (10.3, 10.3.1).

i dont think you can make your fan more quiet, unless you want your powerbook to overhead....

Y'all have a great sense of humor. Yes, it is great the fan keeps my computer cool, but it was fine before, yes a bit warm, but not unbearable for me. Glad Apple wants to keep from lawsuits due to fires (ahem) but I think either mine is working overtime too much or the fan is extra extra sensitive. Thanks for the info though guys, really appreciate it.

Sorry, Brian, you gotta jump on the train when it's at the platform or you'll miss it. :) Like this:

How to keep your fan from coming on? Cool the computer with ice! :D

So if it is covered in ice, does that make it an iceMac instead of an iMac? Or instead of snow colored, snow covered? Sorry, my bad jokes for the day.

I know there are noise dampening pads that are designed for just such a use, but I'd really not recommend it. http://www.pctoys.com are where you'd find it if you were really hell bent on doing it though.

It sounds like you may have a bad bearing in the fan. A good Mac Mechanic should be able to swap it within Apple's warrantee parameters for you.

Good luck either way.

If possible, I suppose you coudl try to use the computer near an air conditioning unit. That seems to help with my iBook. Midn you, I dont think the fan has EVER come on for me unless it was on my bed, with like the material covering the vents...

Do you usually use it on a desk, or soldi bench? Try using a surface that stay cool, like granite, or wood, no tfake MDF computer desks hehe

Back