How does a Radeon 7000 improve on Urban Terror, Tactical Ops and Red faction in a g3

ThE OutsiDer

Registered
How does a Radeon 7000 improve on Urban Terror, Tactical Ops and Red faction in a g3 400 b/w in OSX? (I use Tactical Ops in os9)

El Diablo I rememebr you said you had a 7000 and played Urban so could you give me an example of like what frame rate increase you got from a standard 128 in 1028x768 to the 7000 card?

And has anyone tested a 7000 with Red Faction?
Iwant to buy a card to keep my mac alive till g5 come out, will this be a good call?

And will the 7000 DDR 32 help with lightwave in osx?

Whoa... yes, I am completely satisfied with my 7000 PCI. I recently got the 7000, a new 60GB 7200RPM HD and an ATA100 PCI card and maxed my RAM out at 1GB (before the RAM prices start going way up again... read xlr8yourmac.com for today's date and be prepared to kiss $40 256MB chips goodbye!) and I feel like I've got a new machine here. The next and final upgrade comes as a G4/500MHz ZIF processor from OWComputing.com for $289 and I'm done... hehe... just goes to show that $500 and a two and a half year old Mac can last you forever... ;)

At any rate, I'm not into frame rates and what not... I could care less whether I'm pulling 60fps or 100fps or 30fps. All of those are playable, and that's what I'm all about. High frame rates don't make anyone a better Q3 player! I could run a few tests for ya, if you want, but you'd have to tell me exactly how to do it. Let's just say that on my G4/400 PCI with 640MB of RAM under OS X playing Q3 or Urban Terror or Unreal with the 16MB stock Rage card, I could not even play my games at 1024x768. They were just too slow. 640x480 with medium detail on everything was decent, but slowed down sometimes.

I plopped that Radeon 7000 in, loaded Q3, jacked EVERYTHING up to maximum and set the res. to 1024x768 and haven't touched it since. It definitely is playable. VERY playable. In fact, I'd bet that I'm getting around 30-40fps, which is pretty smooth, but I don't know. I just jacked everything up and let the card do its work. And work it did. For $100, damn, it's a no-brainer buy.

Can't say much about LightWave. I don't think the 7000 would help with LightWave, unless LightWave uses OpenGL to render. The 7000, even with the 32MB DDR RAM, still lacks quite a few of the hardware effects of the regular Radeon card like certain lighting and texture accelerators.

El Diablo start up Urban terror and play it in 640x480 mode detail at highest, then press escape and goto game options and turn show frame rates to yes and tell me what you get (and remember to post what map u played on)

Then change the res to 1024x768 and see what the frames peaked to?

Taa

lightwave does use OpenGL, but the Radeon 7000 lacks many features which make 3D software like lightwave fly...

Back