How is your experience with powerbook g4

There are two kind of G4 powerbooks: the old titanium and the new aluminium. I own a titanium and it's amazing. G4 1Ghz is enough for all my tasks and the screen is wonderful.

I have a 12" 867mhz Powerbook. This is the only
trouble free computer I've ever owned...so far so good.

anparce said:
I would like your experiences with the powerbook g4, I am waiting in this moment one

Thanks

Hehe... well, you can't have my experience, because it's MY experience! Unless you somehow became me, or I learned how to telepathically share experiences, well, you're just not gonna get it.

But I can tell you about my experience with a PowerBook G4 -- I use an old, beat-up 400MHz machine that paint is flaking off of and has a crack on the bottom the size of my palm. It's a wonderful machine: tougher than nails. A little on the slow side, but it gets the job done and is stable as all get-out.

It's a Titanium model.

Fantastic! My PowerBook G4 1.25Ghz 15" is the best laptop I've ever had. (I have had and used many PC baced laptops)

I'm a new Mac user, just trying out a G4 powerbook because all the local Mac users seem to love them.

So far, the machine seems to be crashing every few hours at most. No way can I use this for real work.

I'm still trying to solve my G4 problems, but I'm sorely tempted to give up and go back to linux.

Planet.

Hi planet323 and welcome to the forum.
Post your probs in a new thread and you will see how easily you can solve such weird probs. Linux is - for my taste - still far behind macosx..
Looking forward to see you love your mac ;)

I love my Aluminum Powerbook G4 1.25ghz 15", but I have to say I have had some serious issues with it. Granted, I bought it as a refurb, but the people posting on the Apple discussion boards prove that this isn't an isolated incident.

First, shortly after I purchased it, I had two issues. The first was with the latch not holding the lid shut. The other more serious issue was with uneven illiumination. This issue is quite serious and there are several owners of the 15" AluBook who have had their machines replaced multiple times to no avail. Finally, after the 3rd attempt to fix it, Apple has been giving them a new machine.

5 months after being fixed, my machine is having some issues again. Now, the machine is freezing up when I close the lid at random times. When I pop open the lid, the screen comes up, but everything is frozen and requires a hard boot. Also, after these hard boots, the system will take a few hard boots to come up. The first time it boots it will show a circle with a slash through it and just sit there. After a second or third hard boot it usually works.

The other issue of uneven illumination is back.

Overall, I love the machine. But there are some QA issues surrounding the 15" model. I thought that buying a refurb would help iron out the kinks but it hasn't.

Check the threads on Apple's support board and see if these issues are plaguing the second generation 15" AluBook.

Cant say im been happy so far. I had it for 2 weeks and im on my third one. The first one over heated and died, second one the latch was broke out of the box, third one has a weird wireless problem where it dosent see some networks at all and issues with the battery. Maybe 4th time will be the charm.

Hmm... That's why I like testing the hardware I buy before actually buying it... Trying out the _item_ I'm gonna buy at the store... Love mailorder or weborder all you want, but if the device I'm going to buy can be tried by myself, I don't get any dead pixels nor do I get 'out-of-the-box' latches that don't work.

Also, I guess the new generation of 15" aluBooks have less (or no) issues with illumination. At least the ones I know of (some friends an I) have had no issues with their 15 inchers.

I have a 1.25Ghz 15". Had the first screen replaced for the white spot problems, the new screen has dark corners and dead pixels. I fought with Apple Store employees three times before they would replace my battery that only lasted 2 hours (on a good day), and then was interrogated again after they gave me the battery. (The new one goes about 3.5 hours with everything turned on.) All the shiny "paint" (or whatever) on the buttons has peeled off making it look cheap. Apparently the USB ports don't put out enough juice to power a "USB Bus-powered" external hard drive that is supposed to work with it. (This has been tested... it works fine on 12" PowerBooks, all iBooks, G5s and some 17" PowerBooks! Apple denies that there's a problem - you'd think that since it works on some 17" models but not others they'd admit it. Oh, and I forgot... it works on every PC, of course.) A minor nitpick is that I hate how the screen doesn't close evenly, the corners curve up funny so that it moves when you're carrying it, but even many PC laptops have odd quirks like that.

Otherwise I like it very much.

(Nothing's perfect, but there are some serious QA issues that Apple should do something about.)

planet323 said:
I'm a new Mac user, just trying out a G4 powerbook because all the local Mac users seem to love them.

So far, the machine seems to be crashing every few hours at most. No way can I use this for real work.

I'm still trying to solve my G4 problems, but I'm sorely tempted to give up and go back to linux.

Planet.

How new is it? Is returning it an option? It may be a hardware problem.

My TiBook 1GHz 1Gb is little over 1 year and the only issue I had is 2 batteries replaced (under warranty)... And yes, an adaptor that burned through when I was using it under very poor electricity conditions in Tanzania (Africa) :-( But overal, I love my machine, although at times I could use a little more processor power (with on average 20 apps open this may come to no surprise (?)

i've a Al Powerbook 1.25 ghz, it's been really nice. No problem with uneven lighting; however, i did have a latch problem. got that fixed under warranty. the repair was very quick (3-4 days); i live in houston and noticed that their repair facitility was in houston too so that could have been why.

i've had some odd behavior once in a while such as my screen brightness buttons being lethargic in response. also, the computer may not come out of sleep when opened. but those issues are very rare ...

When I sent my PBG4 in back in February, it only took 3 days - and I live in Atlanta. They replaced the latch, replaced the inverter, and some other part I can't remember. If they have the part in stock, they are usually quite fast.

fuzz said:
i've a Al Powerbook 1.25 ghz, it's been really nice. No problem with uneven lighting; however, i did have a latch problem. got that fixed under warranty. the repair was very quick (3-4 days); i live in houston and noticed that their repair facitility was in houston too so that could have been why.

i've had some odd behavior once in a while such as my screen brightness buttons being lethargic in response. also, the computer may not come out of sleep when opened. but those issues are very rare ...

i like my 12' rev C a lot! quiet and good looking. I often hook it up to tv-screens at friends and show iphoto-albums etc.

Back