How many applications created by Apple do you use?

Which application(s) do you use on your Mac?

• Mac OS X or newer

Votes: 116 97.5%
  • Mac OS 9 or older

Votes: 47 39.5%
  • iTunes

Votes: 116 97.5%
  • iPhoto

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • iMovie

Votes: 57 47.9%
  • AppleWorks

Votes: 34 28.6%
  • iDVD

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • FinalCut Pro

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • DVD Studio Pro

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • QuickTime

Votes: 114 95.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
how do you get the terminal to have a black background /w green text (i have seen it on TV)

Here's a fun terminal command (not my original idea):

At the command line, type:

Bill Gates [press return]

Originally posted by Paragon
just one more thing. Here's what you'll see what it should look like.

SystemStarter $(VerboseFlag)

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65536
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

exit 0

if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Paragon, you're a Top man, it works GREAT Stuff, as you well know! Nice one!! :D

NeYo

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
Transparency in Terminal.app:
(TinkerTool is NOT required)

1. Open a terminal window.

2. Type the following exactly:

defaults write com.apple.Terminal TerminalOpaqueness x

(where x = a value between 0 and 1, ie .75)

3. Set your colors to whatever you want in the preferences.

4. Close and open a new terminal session.

This is a user preference and will therefore differ based on the profile of each user.

My transparency is set at 0.5 with the default colors, black text on white background.

defaults write com.apple.Terminal TerminalOpaqueness 0.5

Well, FINE, whip out the UNIX commands on us! :) Sure, you can do it the CLI way too, but I suggested getting TinkerTool because Neyo is a Terminal newbie and also because TinkerTool is definitely one of the best system prefs out there (it's free too!). Anybody who doesn't have it installed should go download it immediately. :) My favorite part about it is that it doesn't patch anything, it just activates hidden built-in features.

And yes, Neyo, I'd be happy to answer any questions about the iPod!

Originally posted by Snowball

Well, FINE, whip out the UNIX commands on us! :) Sure, you can do it the CLI way too, but I suggested getting TinkerTool because Neyo is a Terminal newbie and also because TinkerTool is definitely one of the best system prefs out there (it's free too!). Anybody who doesn't have it installed should go download it immediately. :) My favorite part about it is that it doesn't patch anything, it just activates hidden built-in features.

And yes, Neyo, I'd be happy to answer any questions about the iPod!

Actually, I cut my first UNIX tooth on that command. This was the very first thing I typed into the CLI to actually change something in Mac OS X. Sure, everyone types "top" and "ls" every now and then, but to actually change something in the CLI is sometimes (rarely) easier. Everything that TinkerTool does can be done with the command line interface, I just don't know all the commands. The second UNIX command I typed was setting arrows (up & down) at both ends of the windows. I don't remember that one and I don't have it written down. It's probably over at http://www.macosxhints.com/ - one of the best places to get UNIX hints and workarounds for Mac OS X. I visit this site daily. To get a list of ALL the commands available in the Terminal, press Control-X-D.

Yep, Mail.app shouldn't be forgotten, as it's one of the best e-mail clients in the world, at least the jaguar version 1.2. :)

I use iTunes.

Due to the severe limitations of my PowerBook , I use iPhoto sparingly, as it runs in OS X only.

One thing I really like about iTunes 3 is the new Soundcheck feature (auto dB adjustment of disparate CD/mp3 levels). However, iTunes 3 is OS X only, so the same deal as iPhoto applies.

I also use Appleworks, despite various annoying quirky behaviors.

Quicktime I regard as the closest thing to system requirement to use the Macintosh, so yeah, I use Quicktime.

I use OS 9, right now I'm real down on OS X...nothing that new hardware wouldn't fix.

eshine@eshine

OSX v10.2
Mail
iTunes 3 (Can you people believe its free?!?)
iPhoto (just for showing people slideshows, otherwise PHOTOSHOP)
iChat (I used AIM before but this doesn't have adverts thank god. Also, Rendezvous in it is REALLY cool)
iCal (Didin't sound exciting but I started fiddling with it and got addicted)
Sherlock 3 (excellent!)
image capture (for use with Canon Powershot s30)
Disc Copy (Best and simplest CD burning out there!)
Quicktime 6 (Nothin better on the planet!)

Also lots of their utilities and things...

Ever since MacWorld SF last January I've been trying to do the full "out of box" experience. I've been trying out all of Apple's iPrograms and have not opted for many OSX customizations or 3rd party programs better then the iProducts.

I've now officially grown tired of the streaming audio in iTunes, so I've started thinking of doing more of the Digital Hub stuff. I've stared ripping CD's as I play them and am considering getting an iPod. (How do I play that in my car?)

I've got a broadcasting degree and am familiar with film editing and have used the old stand-by video tools; Avid and Premier. Only recently I started using iMovie to convert some old family video tapes to QuickTime. (I'm the only one in the family with a DVD, so I haven't messed with that yet...)

Overall I have to say it's been fun going on the ride with Apple. It's been fun waiting for them to surprise me. It's been relaxing knowing I don't have to sour for Applications that do things better then Apple's iProducts...

Back