how much memory am i using?

rteest1

Registered
when i look under the apple at "about this mac" it tells me my processor info and says "memory 256 MB". is this how much memory i'm using or how much memory i have? how do i tell how much memory i'm using and where it's being used??

i'm on a G3, just upgraded to OSX. i could swear in classic mode it tells me right there how much memory is being used..

yargh! help?

thanks.

You can have a look in the Activity Monitor (on OS X, its kept in Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor)

That will give you all the info you want.

What your seeing is how much ram you have, not what your using (althugh you could be using that much too).

yaaargh... i click on it and a little computer screen with a zig zag opens up but then closes again...
thanks for your help.

p.s. i LOVE THE MUPPETS! (heh)

rteest1 said:
when i look under the apple at "about this mac" it tells me my processor info and says "memory 256 MB". is this how much memory i'm using or how much memory i have? how do i tell how much memory i'm using and where it's being used??

i'm on a G3, just upgraded to OSX. i could swear in classic mode it tells me right there how much memory is being used..

yargh! help?

thanks.

256 MB is the RAM installed in your Mac. If you want to see how much memory you use over a longer time (if you want to see what application combination uses how much memory) I would suggest the system addition MenuMeters. It can display the amount of used/unused RAM, HDD usage etc in your menu bar.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17713
Link to the MenuMeters Versiontracker page

It closes by itself?

Funny you should mention that, i saw that happen to a friend who's mac was in a bit of a state. Certain applications like that would open, not display, then close. I think it was fixed with a verify and repair permissions and a minor point system update.

Let me know if trouble persists.

thanks, i'll keep you updated. i need to buy disk doctor and run it as well.. i've not been taking good care of my Mac..

ta

No, you do not need Disk Doctor (if you're referring to the Norton's product). Keep everything with the "Norton's" brand FAR, FAR away from your Mac. Seriously -- don't use their products on your Mac.

You'd be better off booting from the OS X install CD and running a Repair Disk from there. Norton's will only cause you more headaches.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
No, you do not need Disk Doctor (if you're referring to the Norton's product). Keep everything with the "Norton's" brand FAR, FAR away from your Mac. Seriously -- don't use their products on your Mac.

You'd be better off booting from the OS X install CD and running a Repair Disk from there. Norton's will only cause you more headaches.

This is really good advice. Seriously. I've lost count of how many of my clients've hosed their systems with the 'help' of Norton Disk Mauler.

Try the disk repair first. If that doesn't make your system 'snappier', try moving your documents to another disk, format the old and reinstall. It might take some time, but it'll be a lot less risky.

PLEASE stay away from Norton/Symantec products on the Mac. Many here have said that they tend to cause more harm than good when it comes to computer diagnostics and troubleshooting.

Back