How record a MiniDisc to MP3 ?

toast

Gone !
Hello,

I've recorded an interview on the radio using my MiniDisc. I need to make a MP3 of it.

I have a tool that usually allows you to hijack a source and to encode it to MP3, called Audio HiJack Pro. I could also do this with freeware WaveTap from Ambrosia.

BUT :

MacOSX is being a HUGE problem. I plug my MD in, using a male-male cable. No sound. I rectify this in Sys Prefs, setting "Sound In" to "Line In". Okay, there IS sound now.

BUT:

When I set Audio Hijack to 'record Finder sound', it records nothing. There IS sound going out of the Mac, but Audio HiJack Pro does not reckon it. Idem for WaveTap.

Moreover, a strange thing: I have to open MIDI Audio Config and check the 'Read' checkbox on the left of the audio settings window to have sound out...

IN BRIEF

Anyone could tell me how to record my MD on my imac 10.2.6, assuming I am equipped with Audio HiJack Pro and WaveTap ? Because I can't find how !!!

PS: in mac OS 9, this took me 1 minute to do with SimpleSound. I miss such a utility on OS X, even though it was a primitive, ugly, unpleasant utility, it did work. Argh :(

Help ! -end-

Didn't Apple purchase a major sound editing company or something like this? It might be easier to import the music as raw digital sound (AIFF) and burn to CD using iTunes. Then re-rip it using iTunes into MP3 format.

Originally posted by toast
Hello,

I've recorded an interview on the radio using my MiniDisc. I need to make a MP3 of it.

I have a tool that usually allows you to hijack a source and to encode it to MP3, called Audio HiJack Pro. I could also do this with freeware WaveTap from Ambrosia.

BUT :

MacOSX is being a HUGE problem. I plug my MD in, using a male-male cable. No sound. I rectify this in Sys Prefs, setting "Sound In" to "Line In". Okay, there IS sound now.

BUT:

When I set Audio Hijack to 'record Finder sound', it records nothing. There IS sound going out of the Mac, but Audio HiJack Pro does not reckon it. Idem for WaveTap.

Moreover, a strange thing: I have to open MIDI Audio Config and check the 'Read' checkbox on the left of the audio settings window to have sound out...

IN BRIEF

Anyone could tell me how to record my MD on my imac 10.2.6, assuming I am equipped with Audio HiJack Pro and WaveTap ? Because I can't find how !!!

PS: in mac OS 9, this took me 1 minute to do with SimpleSound. I miss such a utility on OS X, even though it was a primitive, ugly, unpleasant utility, it did work. Argh :(

Help ! -end-

I guess you shouldn't set Audio Hijack to record "Finder sound". I don't know that app, but this setting sounds more like it's for recording sounds that are created by the computer, ignoring the line in.

I've been using a shareware app called Sound Studio. Works just fine for recording and simple editing :)

Yes, i use Sound Studio as well... I also use Cacaphony in OS X.

Connect your thing, then set your input to Sound In, Line In, or External Mic.

Downloading Sound Studio (smaller size than Spark), thanks to all for the positive and constructive input. I'll tell you more soon.

Thx again :)

Back