(HOW TO) Accessing cd and dvds in the browse file winodw?

ace008

Registered
Hi, I have just switched from a PC to a G4 powerbook 17" and am still trying to get used to the new OS. How do i play movies and music directly off the cd without having to copy them to my desktop 1st. Everytime i try to access a file from the cd-rom/dvd, i have to copy onto the hd 1st, is there a way i can do it without having to copy the file to the hd 1st like windows (play and access files from cd)? Also, in the browse for file to open window, i can't find the cds in my cdrom/dvd drive. Is there a way to access my dvd drive without having to make a alias to the desktop 1st? Thanks.

A DVD movie should automatically start your DVD player software, starting the movie playing on its own without any need to browse to the DVD disk. If you go to System Preferences and click on CDs & DVDs pane, you should see that inserting a DVD should open DVD Player, and for your question about music CDs, the same pane should show insert a music CD, Open iTunes. That will automatically start your music CD playing, again no need to browse through a CD for tunes. You can always stop itunes, or doubleclick on the track you want to play, Theres a lot of other options to use in iTunes. :) One final note, if you click on the Finder icon in the dock (or simply click on any non-program window or other background area on desktop, you'll be able to click on the Finder menu (next to the Blue Apple) choose preferences, make sure that Removable Media is checked. That will allow the disk to visually mount on your desktop (probably in the top right corner) where you can doubleclick the volume and browse to your heart's content.

oh thanks. I found the problem. Turns out that i didn't scroll left enough to see the HD and cd-rw/dvd-r drives.

Back