How to automatically mount remote discs at start-up ?

apaschou

Registered
Hi,

I just installed two Macs with OS X. They are wired by ethernet through a HUB. A DHCP give the IP adresses.

The network is working, I am able to mount a remote disc. To do that, I select the menu "Connect to a server", Mac OS automatically find the remote computer, and I can connect to have the remote disc on my desktop.

But after every start-up, I have to redo the connection manually. How can I have my remote disc automatically mounted when I start the computer ? If I remember well, under OS 9, there was a check box to have a disc automatically mounted at start-up. I didn't find anything similar in OS X.

Does anyone have a suggestion for automatic mount ?

Thank you for any help.

Well, I don't know about the auto-mount, but I create aliases to network drives and store those aliases in the user's home folder. Then I can drag those aliases to the dock and connect to them from there. If there's some sort of authentication needed, it'll ask for it when I click the alias.

I suppose you could put an alias to the network drive in the user log-in items, which would, in theory, mount the drive at the time of login. I haven't tried this, nor do I have a network drive to try it with at the moment, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

if you want ot do it in unix the command is

youll have to be root first, so su, then

mount -t smbfs -o username=yours_here,password=your_pass,workgroup=WORKGROUPNAME //remote_server/share /localfolder

you can also put this into a file to have it happen on startup, cant remember it at the moment

Back