[HOW TO] Bind Leopard to Active Directory

No active directory here, or server for that matter. This is a simple workgroup network. 2 printers, 4 desktop PCs, 2 laptop PCs, 2 mac powerbook G4's, an intel core 2 duo-based Mac desktop, and a partridge in a pear tree....all connected via a wireless network using a Linksys WRG300N with no WEP (I disabled security on the wireless network until I figured out the source of this issue).

I do, however, have the ability to install Windows Server 2008 and dedicate one of the PCs as a server. Do you think this may solve the problem? Better yet, if I put in a request for one of those fancy schmancy AirPort Extreme routers, will that solve my woes? Any and all advice is most appreciated. Thanks to everyone whose taken the time to read this stuff.

No active directory here, or server for that matter. This is a simple workgroup network. 2 printers, 4 desktop PCs, 2 laptop PCs, 2 mac powerbook G4's, an intel core 2 duo-based Mac desktop, and a partridge in a pear tree....all connected via a wireless network using a Linksys WRG300N with no WEP (I disabled security on the wireless network until I figured out the source of this issue).

With the different versions of OS x make sure in each Mac you went to System Preferences->Sharing. However with 10.4.X and bellow to share individual files you will need a third party plugin called SharePoints. In 10.5.X + the System Preferences->Sharing , then the Options button to select the file sharing protocol. Plus hit the + buttons to select which files to share.

Plus anyone looking for more advice on getting Macs into Windows domains then go over to MacWindows.com. They have been reporting on putting Macs into windows domains for a while now. That's all they do so they have a lot of reader reports with some good experience tips in those reports.

1. Download and install the free version of Linotype's FontExplorer (don't buy the full version unless you are a super pro user and need support and font server capability): Click here to start the download immediately, directly from Linotype's website.

2. Open FontBook and deactivate all fonts it's running. Don't ever open or use it again. It's not very good with font management, ironically, and I don't recommend you use it.

3. Clean your System Fonts folder. This safely removes all but the 12 fonts that your system absolutely requires. This also means you don't have to load 1000s of fonts in order for your computer to function - just load the ones you want through FontExplorer when you want them. Here's where you activate Clean System Fonts Folder:

Cleaning the System Fonts folder will create a FONT REMOVED folder in your hard drive. Add these to the folder you create for #4 below and import them to your font library.

4. Add fonts to your FontExplorer Library. Make sure right inside your hard drive you have a font folder called FONTS (or similarly named) and have your fonts in alphabetised folders, A - Z. This makes it easy to pinpoint font issues. Having all your fonts in a lump in one folder is highly unorganised. Not helpful when you need to quarantine one font!

5. Open your Plug in library and activate any applicable programs that use fonts (Adobe Creative Suite is a no-brainer, but other apps are compatible as well; be sure to activate them for best font performance and auto-activation):

6. Create font sets and activate fonts that you like to use. Don't activate them all as this defeats the purpose of managing fonts in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now in Snow Leopard to bind a 10.6.x Mac to a Windows Domain open System Preferences->Accounts. In there make sure the lock symbol is unlocked. Then highlight the Account you want to bind to the Domain Server. Then in the left hand corner of the pane click on the "Login Options". Now in the right hand pane click on "Network Account Server: Join" and as an Administrator You can follow the steps to launch Directory Utility and join to the Domain Server. After filling out the Domain Information to bind the Account then restart and have the user log in with their domain accounts.

Now in Snow Leopard to bind a 10.6.x Mac to a Windows Domain open System Preferences->Accounts. In there make sure the lock symbol is unlocked. Then highlight the Account you want to bind to the Domain Server. Then in the left hand corner of the pane click on the "Login Options". Now in the right hand pane click on "Network Account Server: Join" and as an Administrator You can follow the steps to launch Directory Utility and join to the Domain Server. After filling out the Domain Information to bind the Account then restart and have the user log in with their domain accounts.

OK, i was able to login to the macbook with a domain account, no problem, but problem i've encountered is this.

If the macbook is not connected to our network, than i cant login with the domain account, but if its connected to network than its fine..

anybody know what i am doing wrong? its on mac os 10.6.4

That is because your account on the Domain is kept on the Domain Server. You have to have a local account on the Mac to long onto it when it's off the Domain. If it was originally a local account just go into that account and un-bined it from the Account pane.

Last edited:
Hi, I have OSX 10.6 snow leopadr on macmini. I have joined it to windows domain with no problem and it works fine untill I turn off the computer. After that domain starts to be unreachable, until I log in with local Admin and unbind it and bind again.
It works fine when domain user just logs out but when it turns off domain is unreachable.
Can someone help ?

Thank you in advance

Hi, I have OSX 10.6 snow leopadr on macmini. I have joined it to windows domain with no problem and it works fine untill I turn off the computer. After that domain starts to be unreachable, until I log in with local Admin and unbind it and bind again.
It works fine when domain user just logs out but when it turns off domain is unreachable.
Can someone help ?

Thank you in advance

What Domain is your 10.6 machine connecting to? Is this using a dedicated Domain account or a mobile account?

Also read the Apple document Mac OS X v10.6: Active Directory binding lost on network transition (.local domain).

Also another tip to fix slow SMB sharing (in a SMB shared environment) is to go into the Finder's Preferences and in the 'SideBar' tab is to uncheck "Connected Servers" and this drastically speed up slow SMB sharing in Active Directory.

One last tip is to speed up slow SMB sharing from 10.6.x on Active Directory is on the Mac client open System Preferences->Accounts, Login Options, Join button, then open Directory Utility (as Domain Administrator). In Directory Utility click on the 'Administrative' tab and uncheck the box for "Allow authentication from any domain in the forest". This might help for 10.6.x slow SMB connections.

Back