How to connect a power mac display to a mini mac

jsn

Registered
Hi all

I am thinking about bying a mac mini to replace my power mac G4, that has serious problems.

My monitor is a:
Apple Studio Display 17 (ADC)
Display Connector: ADC
Apple Display Connector port
and it has that proprietary connection and does not require a power cord

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1825

Can I reuse my current monitor in a mini mac?
How do I connect an ADC monitor to a mini mac Mini DisplayPort video out ?

If that is a CRT display (not a flat panel LCD), then you will find that it won't work.
You can't get enough power through any adapter to power up that CRT. I know it works fine for you on your old G4 tower, but that video card provides much more power than any adapter. You now have an obsolete display, with very limited use.
You will spend more to try the old display (and fail), than it would cost to simply purchase a new display.

Unless you are getting a used mini, the current mini does not have the DVI-I connector.
It has two video outputs, one mini-DVI, and one mini DisplayPort.
You would need an adapter from either of those ports to DVI, then the DVI to ADC adapter. A new mini comes with a mini DVI to DVI adapter in the box.

My monitor is a:
Apple Studio Display 17 (ADC)
Display Connector: ADC
Apple Display Connector port
and it has that proprietary connection and does not require a power cord

ADC, not much you can do. If there was, the adapter costs about $100 so you might as well just get another 17" LCD monitor.

The Apple DVI to DVC adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8661LL/B#overview

"Introducing the Apple DVI to ADC adapter, which allows you to connect any Apple flat-panel display featuring an Apple Display Connector (ADC) to a computer with a DVI port

If you have a MacBook or iMac (Intel Core Duo) with a Mini-DVI port, you can combine this DVI to ADC adapter with a Mini-DVI to DVI adapter (sold separately) and enjoy all the benefits of your ADC monitor. "

Is there a question there, somewhere?

The mini-DVI adapter will come in the box with your new Mac mini.
If you want to use the mini DisplayPort, then you would need the adapter for that port.
And you would need to purchase that ADC to DVI converter, as you posted.
Unknown if that ADC adapter will work through the Mini DisplayPort, so I would recommend that you use the mini-DVI to DVI for that (and you don't need to purchase that, eh?)

Your cinema display could be up to 8 years old. The backlight won't be as bright as it once was because of aging, so don't expect full brightness from that display now.

Back