how to convert wma to itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they are WMA (ie unprotected/unlicenced) then i think you can just drop them into itunes, and they will convert. (although the more i think about this, the more i'm thinking it's only the WinXP version of iTunes that can do this. if not, try ffmpegx (google it), which is a good cross-coder for many video/audio formats.

if it's WMP (protected, licenced, DRM) then there's no real legal way to do it (if any way).

EasyWMA will do the trick. Very easy to use, great app, and fr...oh wait, version 2.2 was free, version 2.3 costs $10 USD :( pretty rotten thing to do IMO

I mean, I understand why he would change the licence and charge for the app. It's a solid application and worth the money, but you don't switch sides half way through a point release. He could have at least waited for version 3 and added some extra funky features.

If you search around you may be able to find version 2.2 or earlier floating around.

EasyWMA will do the trick. Very easy to use, great app, and fr...oh wait, version 2.2 was free, version 2.3 costs $10 USD :( pretty rotten thing to do IMO

I mean, I understand why he would change the licence and charge for the app. It's a solid application and worth the money, but you don't switch sides half way through a point release. He could have at least waited for version 3 and added some extra funky features.

If you search around you may be able to find version 2.2 or earlier floating around.

i found version 2.2 easily on www.versiontracker.com
works great

OK, I'll try it again. I have had problems with QuickTime and iTunes recognizing certain Windows Media files. I'll still keep the player, just in case!

are these .wav files?

you could use xact and xld to convert them to .flac and then too v0 and you'll have proper v0 (about 256kb/ps at the size of 192kb/ps) rips of the tracks.

No, there aren't unfortunately. The easiest way to do it is very annoying, but you can import them directly on the Windows version of iTunes and it converts them as it imports them. If you have access to a Windows system do that and then just copy them off to the Mac.

Well I'm not to go out and get windows just to get them converted. I guess i'll just have to try get the CD's again

Hi. I've just googled and found a great solution that's free:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

I'm using it right now. It seems to take a little longer than conversion in iTunes (ie. CD to mp3) but it can queue up as many files as you wish. If you have lots then you can just queue them up before you go to bed and let it do it overnight.

I'm using the free version to convert from WMA to MP3. It also has AAC format too.

Good luck!
W

EDIT: I've just finished converting 426 wma songs to mp3. The sound is good but all the album and artist information got lost in the conversion! AAARRGGHHH!!! So I'm going to use my partner's Windows PC to convert instead. *Grumble*

Hi. I've just googled and found a great solution that's free:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

I'm using it right now. It seems to take a little longer than conversion in iTunes (ie. CD to mp3) but it can queue up as many files as you wish. If you have lots then you can just queue them up before you go to bed and let it do it overnight.

I'm using the free version to convert from WMA to MP3. It also has AAC format too.

Good luck!
W

EDIT: I've just finished converting 426 wma songs to mp3. The sound is good but all the album and artist information got lost in the conversion! AAARRGGHHH!!! So I'm going to use my partner's Windows PC to convert instead. *Grumble*

Its free and it works. Convert to mp3, import to itunes and finish by convert to acc. Thanks waiton

That would be great if it were that easy. But it's not. Actually that software is TOTALLY useless. I thought making the move to MAC was the smart move as it's supposed to be so much more user friendly. The fact that it has taken this long to Finally be able to use MS office tools and the fact that converting windows media (movie and music) is like pulling your own teeth merely illustrates that Apple has a long way to go before it can live up to its advertising promises.

So I've made the move to mac and I'm in the process of moving all of my file over from pc. I can't seem to find any easy (ie drag&drop type) software to convert my 400 or so music files. Any suggestions for a computer illiterate knuckledragger like myself?

iTunes on your PC (if you have it) will convert your songs from wma > mp3 or AAC, depending on how the importing preferences are set within iTunes. Just drag them (I'd do say, 50 at a time, just to play it safe) onto the iTunes library window and a dialogue box will appear asking you if you want the .wma files converted.

Then you'll be set to move them over to your Mac.

If they're already on the Mac, then there's EasyWMA.

With OS 10.4.11 I recently downloaded a wma file that was simply audio. Opening the file in Quicktime permitted it to play, and using (Menubar,File,Export) permitted a number of save options, including MPEG-4 and save to ipod. wma=>MPEG-4 compressed the files by nearly a factor of 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back