how to creat bootable disk with Norton Utilities download version?

James Bond

Registered
I have downloaded Norton Utilities from Symantech (and paid of course)....but the download version has no bootable CD and there are no instructions on how to make one. Without that you can only use about half of the software!!

Doe anyone know how to make a bootable CD with Norton Utilities on it? I have tried BootCD but that does not work.

I suspect your Norton's will only run from an OS9.x system.

You don't give any info as to what Mac you have or what operating system(s) you can boot from.

Give more details and someone can surely help you. :p

Matt

That link will help you create a bootable OS9 CD with Norton software on it. You should be sure to download and apply latest updates to the Norton software before you create the CD. Good Luck.:) The specific Mac model you have can make a difference here, For example, the new 12 and 17 powerbooks can't boot to OS9. Any earlier Mac can (but not necessarily from ANY OS9!)

I guess you have discovered by now that although Norton Utilities will do its thing on 10.2.x volumes, it has to be run from a CD with the OS9 system...Symantec has a very good procedure for creating a bootable CD(assuming you have an OS9 installation CD in your possession), and tells how to do it while booted in OSX.

I should have said you didn't give enough information(instead of saying you didn't give any). If you have a partition on your HD with an OS9 system, then you could install Norton's Utilities on it and run the LiveUpdater from there. I was then going to try to tell how to make a bootable CD.

The link you posted gives a pretty good procedure though, so I won't repeat it. :)

Matt

Yes - I am very disappointed. I bought Norton 7.0 because I wanted the upgrade to the OSX version. having done that, all I can do is run the old Classic version 6.03 which i already own!

I shall be asking for a refund.

For example, the new 12 and 17 powerbooks can't boot to OS9. Any earlier Mac can (but not necessarily from ANY OS9!)

Apple made a statement that all new Macs will boot into OS 9 until next Sept or October. Didn't hear anything about these Powerbooks not being able to boot into OS 9.

Sorry, booting into MacOS 9 is not an option on these beauties. Steve Jobs announced specifically in his keynote at SF that these powerbooks are the fist Macs INCAPABLE of booting into 9. I believe the statement that you're talking about is Apple saying the you will be able to purchase Macs that can still boot into 9 until (probably late Summer, early Fall) There maybe a workaround of some kind, similar to using OSX on older powerMacs, but it appears that a OS9 boot volume cannot even be selected in Startup Disk. Probably as models are updated during this year, OS9 will be gone, wave bye-bye:)

Back