how to determine IP address of other Mac on LAN

mike flugennock

Registered
The monitor died on my G4 minitower the other day, so I had to disconnect the monitor from my old beige G3 and move it over.

So, now, for unrelated reasons, I need to determine the IP address of the G3. I know it's in the same group as the others -- 192.168.1.x -- but no solutions I've found via Google, all of which involve using Terminal commands, have worked.

I booted the now "headless" G3 and accessed it over the LAN, but Get Info doesn't display its IP address. I rummaged around on the G3's drive over the LAN and found an old screen-dump image of the G3's MacTCP settings window, but they're the old settings from when I was using the UAQA ISDN. The G3 is running a late version of 8.6, or something like that.

Would you know of any other way to determine the IP address of the old G3 without shutting down the G4, reconnecting the monitor to the G3 and restarting it so I can open its current MacTCP settings?

TIA, gang.

Why not just check what IP addresses your router is supporting?

Disconnect (or shutdown) all other network devices and computers, except for the one where you are doing this, and the old G3.
You know what YOUR IP address is, so the one that is different (on the router), is the one that you want....

Last edited:
Back