How to? - Disable Mail from following embedded links?

Prefap

Registered
Hello,

I've recently switched from Eudora to Apple's Mail, since Lion doesn't support Rosetta any longer. I first tried some (beta) replacements, but none to my liking. I've now turned to Mail, which works fine, except for the fact that I cannot seem to turn off (an option?) that Mail automatically follows embedded links in a received message. I've got Little Snitch Installed, so whenever I open an email from a commercial party (f.e. Yousendit) I'm prompted with links which I have to deny before I can go on. Is there setting I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

P.

Are you asking if there's a setting in Little Snitch which would exclude traffic in your Mail software (so you won't need to click deny?)
If those are sites that are needed for your emails (you mentioned Yousendit) - wouldn't you simply choose to Accept, to allow Little Snitch to pass data from those sites?

Hi Deltamac,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm actually looking for a setting in Mail where I can disable the auto-followup of embedded links in sent messages. I can understand that the issue may be resolved be allowing Little Snitch any connection from Mail, but the reason I've got LS installed is that I don't want any third parties connecting without my permission. In other words: why, if I would just like to read an email, would would that message connect to an external server or website? None of these messages contain important data, yet they do try to connect to external sources. That's the option I would like to have turned off.

Thanks!

PS: are macosx.com and macosxhints.com the same sites?

No, the 2 sites are similar in use, but not the same site in actual fact.
You do often find the same folks posting on both sites, but there's other differences in some of the "experts" that frequent one, but not the other, and you may often see different perspectives that are presented, even if the threads are similar.

Hi DeltaMac,

The reply of NaOH on the other site macosxhints.com turned out to solve my issue. thanks for your quick reply! For others facing similar issues: Mail>prefs>viewing: turn off 'show external images in HTML'.

Thanks again!

P.

Back