How to.... get a parental block on admin

projectxiii

Registered
i know this isnt possible though the settings
but is there a back door to this?

im only asking as my brother who is 10 went on a site.
so we want the adult sites blocked.

but we dont want a new account

im only asking as my brother who is 10 went on a site.
so we want the adult sites blocked.
Why does your 10-year-old brother have an administrative account?
but we dont want a new account
This is not an excuse. The Mac is a multi-user operating system. Every user on your system should have his or her own account. Any administrative user can change the privilege level of any account at any time. If your brother uses an administrative account, then it is impossible to limit what he can do on it.

Although few users follow them, best-practices principles dictate that administrative accounts should only be used to administer the system. Day-to-day activities should be done using standard accounts. Your 10-year-old brother should be on a managed account with parental controls enabled.

Use your own or your parents administrative account - if there isn't one yet, create one. After this, log off from your brother's account, using the (new?) other admin account, and remove the admin privileges from this kid, and at this point add the parental controls that you want or need.

Note: if you or the brother has any other browsers than Safari, these don't apply to the browser safe list rules. The same for chats and messengers - they are only valid for ichat, and the same goes for mail; any controls are limited only to Mac OS X builtin mail.
-- unless any of these would have changed in 10.5 from the previous.
Therefore you may want to check if you find any of these other applications in Applications or in his user folder, and remove or block access to them.

Why does your 10-year-old brother have an administrative account?
This is not an excuse. The Mac is a multi-user operating system. Every user on your system should have his or her own account. Any administrative user can change the privilege level of any account at any time. If your brother uses an administrative account, then it is impossible to limit what he can do on it.

They just got it about a week ago and i havent got round to sorting out accounts.
but my parents just wants the admin account on, and no more. But if they have to then i'll do it

They arent very computer friendly.

Thank for your help

Also take a look at OpenDNS. Use their DNS and then create a free account. With the free account you can block certain or custom domains without installing any software on Mac. It is really worth the time and might make your surfing a little faster.

Last edited:
... and don't click on any box that asks you to upgrade your media player before you can play the video .... it's a really bad choice.

I have 3 accounts on my iMac ... 1 Admin & 2 Standard, one for me for every day use and the other is for my son, who spends every possible moment playing online games on his PC:D

I only use the Admin acct to run Software Update and OnyX every 2 weeks or so.

They just got it about a week ago and i havent got round to sorting out accounts.
but my parents just wants the admin account on, and no more. But if they have to then i'll do it

They arent very computer friendly.

Thank for your help

Ye gods, tell them it's a requirement! It's mandatory! Don't let 10 yr. old OR parental units use admin account.

I speak from past 2 years w. computer literacy-challenged spousal unit. Can't tell you how many times(~once per week) I have to drop what I'm doing to help her repair her disk/re-install her OS/change preferences/ etc. She doesn't get it, never will. Many of the problems I see on the forums sound like her problems. She will change permissions, edit system-installed files, move files, delete files, rename files, - all to make it "her" computer. And then it quits working properly or altogether, and now I've got to re-do it for her - again. On a weekly guaranteed, and sometimes daily, or twice a day, basis.

Don't let them have Admin privileges. If they screw something up in a User account, they lose their files maybe, but you won't have to reinstall the whole damn system again, and try to explain yet again why their computer quit working.

As in,
"I can't get my printer set up."
"But it's not powered on."
"I'm not ready to print yet."
"Then you don't need to set it up, do you."
"I want it to be ready when I Do have something to print."
"Then turn the printer ON so your computer will recognize it."
"But I don't need to print anything."
"Then don't set it up yet."
"I Can't set it up."
"That's because your laptop can't See the printer to know what it's dealing with."
"But I don't want to print yet."

AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I rant,
iferment

Back