How to install an application for all users

CecilWard

Registered
I have downloaded an application that is not from the Mac App Store. How do I install it so that all users on the machine can share it? Where will the executable end up being stored? - so I can find it from the command line.

Firstly, There are no 'executables' on Macs per se. Almost all apps you install are for everyone unless you have it set nup for mul;tiple usere that have their own set of apps & preferences (must sign in). In that case, highlight the app, Click Command I to get info. At the bottom, unlock and designate everyone as read & write. Close get info, and you're all good!

For clarification: By definition, an executable is a file that can be executed, I didn’t necessarily mean a file with extension .exe as in Windows. I’m logged in to the Mac via SSH and so I would like to know where non-app-store applications typically live so that I can run it from the command line.

Most apps install to the Applications folder by default (unless you tell it to install elsewhere). Many apps give instructions to just drag the app to the Applications folder. The Applications folder sits in your HD that has the system you are launched in. That is the HD that has started up the computer which has Applications, Library, System, and Users folders.

The user action in top level hard drive is folder called 'Applications' and that is man part every user will see! in the USER folder there is also a folder in there that is also called 'Applications' for ONLY that USER!

A default user folder (new install, or simply a new user) will not have an Applications folder, unless you either choose to make one, or an app install of some kind adds an Applications folder to your user folder, or you choose to make that folder yourself.
So, applications (the executable apps) will usually be in the Applications folder, or somewhere else, maybe in your own user folder.
And, most applications can be put anywhere on your hard drive, if you like (or if you need to do that)
If the app that you want to use is not in the Applications folder, then you will just have to search for it. Spotlight can help with that, of course.

And, if you know where the app is located, and you have some need to run it from the command line (terminal), then find the app, then drag it to the terminal. The app, along with the path to the app, will all appear in the terminal. Quite useful for doing "whatever" in the terminal.

Back