How to install garageband and idvd on another volume?

Ifrit

Registered
Today I got my iLife package. Unfortunally the only option I have is to install idvd and garageband to an external volume (Lacie FW Pocket drive), One reason is, that not much space left on my ibook's HD (20GB > around 6GB free) and I don't want to clutter the remaining space with programs I won't use that much.

My problem is, it isn't possible to install Garageband, idvd on another volume but the main one (at least its not an option when using apple's installer)

I also made hidden directories visible using the program Tinker tool (the main installer is just an alias). So it is possible to access various install packages. Unfortunally the garageband installer also refuses to install the application on other volumes.
Another thing which confuses me even more, there are three garageband install packages. I wonder which is the right one...(Garageband.mpk, Garageband4iLive.mpk, GaragebandApp.mpk)

I don't really now how to proceed... Is it possible to install garageband on the main volume and then move it to another?

You need to install Garageband on the volume that holds your OS. Obviously, you do not have enough free space to do it.

You could move some of your used seldom apps to the Firewire drive, then install.

Ok, I simply installed it on my ibook's HD. It takes less HD space than I expected (around 1,5GB). Later, I discovered that a copy of the ipod control folder (I made a backup of it on a DVD-RW) was still on my main HD (Desktop folder) which took away around 4gigs of HD space.
(The ipod_control folder is invisible, so after unchecking the "show invisble files & folders icons in the Tinker tool preference this "HD space eater" was nowhere to be found)

Unfortunally idvd doesn't work (I believe it needs a g4) and aborts with a "required hardware not found" error message.

(from Apple's system requirements for iLife '04)
To Install iDVD 4 on a computer that doesn't have a SuperDrive, you can perform a custom install of iDVD from the iLife '04 installer:

Insert the iLife '04 DVD.
Open the iLife installer.
Continue through License Agreement and Read Me screens.
Select a destination drive and click Continue.
Click Customize.
Place a check next to iDVD in the installer listing.
Click Install or Upgrade.

Notes:
In order to install and use iDVD 4 you need Mac OS X 10.2.6 or later, a DVD-ROM drive, QuickTime 6.4 or later, at at least 256 MB of RAM, 4.3 GB of free hard disk space, and a display with at least 1024-by-768-pixel resolution.
Your iBook doesn't have a SuperDrive, so no iDVD burning(also won't burn to an external DVD burner), but you can read and modify iDVD files, and play with the program, if you had a G4 processor...

Back