How to install MAC OS 9 in Powerbook2

deejayyaj

Registered
I have a Apple Powerbook2 (Clamshell) and lost the entire OS in my HDD. Now i want to install MAC OS 9 again but I'm a new user of MAC.

So, How can i install the OS 9 on my Powerbook2?

I also see the Mac smiling face and Question mark everytime i power on the unit.
what's the sign for?

in executing or booting up from CD, I hold down c when it boots up but it always show the smiling question mark sign..

Can anybody help me with this, i really want to put back my MAC Clam Shell Powerbook on again.

Thanks in advance for replying in this thread.

Is the disc you are using with it the original one that came with that computer, or from some other source? (If in doubt, what color does the disc have?)

Clamshell Powerbook? You mean a clamshell iBook, or a Powerbook?

@Giaguara:

I just copied my cousins cd disk from his old MAC Clamshell (installer).

about the model, i oppened the Open Firmware and it says Apple Powerbook2.
but i know this is a MAC iBOOK Clamshell.

I dont have the original disk of my clamshell, thats why i can't install OS, but the OS that is installed in this iBOOK before was MAC OS 0.9 (correct me if i'm wrong about MAC OS 0.9 or MAC OS 9.1) but i know it is OS 9.

is there any way to install some OS or what kind of OS can i install in this lappy.?
Thanks for your reply.

MAC OSx -->> can i download this and where can i download the entire OS? what version?
UBUNTU -->> can i alternately install this OS? i know this Linux base OS have the same files with MACs (right)?

Last edited:
@Giaguara:

I just copied my cousins cd disk from his old MAC Clamshell (installer).
If you simply used the Finder to copy the files over to a new CD, then the CD wasn't properly created, most likely. You can use Disk Utility to create a bootable copy of the CD instead.

I dont have the original disk of my clamshell, thats why i can't install OS, but the OS that is installed in this iBOOK before was MAC OS 0.9 (correct me if i'm wrong about MAC OS 0.9 or MAC OS 9.1) but i know it is OS 9.
Mac OS 9 has been discontinued, and Apple no longer sells it. You can find it elsewhere, but it's usually kind of expensive. You can look on eBay, or do a simple Google search to find places that sell it, like this one:

http://www.welovemacs.com/os9opso.html

is there any way to install some OS or what kind of OS can i install in this lappy.?
Yes, there is any way to install some OS.

You can install some versions of Mac OS X, some versions of Linux, and, of course, Mac OS 9.

MAC OSx -->> can i download this and where can i download the entire OS? what version?
You need to purchase Mac OS X. Downloading it would be illegal, and, as such, discussion of that would be against the board rules.
UBUNTU -->> can i alternately install this OS?
Yes, some versions offer a PowerPC distro that you can boot and install on the Clamsell iBook. Visit the distro's site and look for PowerPC versions. If you want to find a specific ditro, like Ubuntu, say that and we can point you to somewhere you can obtain a PowerPC version.
i know this Linux base OS have the same files with MACs (right)?
No, that's incorrect. Mac OS X is UNIX. Linux is Linux. While they may seem the same, and even share similar syntax and structure, they are, in fact, different and incompatible with each other.

Just to be nit-picky, it's "Mac"... not "MAC". "MAC" stands for "Media Access Control", has something to do with networking, and is completely different from the "Mac" computer. Your Mac has a MAC, but is not a MAC.

If you're going to install Ubuntu on your PowerPC iBook, you need to check this Ubuntu PowerPC FAQ first and foremost:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ

Be aware that there is no Adobe Flash for PowerPC GNU/Linux, but there is a free alternative called Gnash (which is available through the package manager called Synaptic). It's not as mature as the proprietary Adobe Flash is, but it's the only solution right now for Flash support on GNU/Linux for the PowerPC platform.

You can find the ISO images here. I recommend using the Alternate Installation over the Live CD. Trust me when I tell you to use the Alternate Installation. Everyone I've advised to use the Alternate Installation has had little to no problems after they've installed Ubuntu on either Macs or PCs. The Live CD, while nice to test drive Ubuntu before you install, is the least reliable for installations in my experience.

Also, for Ubuntu you have to have at least 128 MB RAM if not more. If this isn't the case, download Debian GNU/Linux for PowerPC and perform the installation with one of their netinstall discs (this requires a working network connection...I recommend having your network port connected to your network while doing the installation).

Do be aware that installing GNU/Linux is quite a different experience than installing Mac OS X, so make sure you follow the directions to a tee and that you understand the concepts of partitioning your hard drive before going down this road.

If you simply used the Finder to copy the files over to a new CD, then the CD wasn't properly created, most likely. You can use Disk Utility to create a bootable copy of the CD instead.

Mac OS 9 has been discontinued, and Apple no longer sells it. You can find it elsewhere, but it's usually kind of expensive. You can look on eBay, or do a simple Google search to find places that sell it, like this one:

http://www.welovemacs.com/os9opso.html

Yes, there is any way to install some OS.

You can install some versions of Mac OS X, some versions of Linux, and, of course, Mac OS 9.

You need to purchase Mac OS X. Downloading it would be illegal, and, as such, discussion of that would be against the board rules.

Yes, some versions offer a PowerPC distro that you can boot and install on the Clamsell iBook. Visit the distro's site and look for PowerPC versions. If you want to find a specific ditro, like Ubuntu, say that and we can point you to somewhere you can obtain a PowerPC version.

No, that's incorrect. Mac OS X is UNIX. Linux is Linux. While they may seem the same, and even share similar syntax and structure, they are, in fact, different and incompatible with each other.

Just to be nit-picky, it's "Mac"... not "MAC". "MAC" stands for "Media Access Control", has something to do with networking, and is completely different from the "Mac" computer. Your Mac has a MAC, but is not a MAC.

@ElDiabloConCaca:
Oh yes, thanks for the correction, not MAC its Mac :)

Mac OS 9 has been discontinued:
yes, coz i went to one of a retail store of Apple Mac here... and they told me that the only OS that they're selling is the new one called Leopard. They advice me to order it over the counter but its too long to wait.
and downloading OS9 for free is not good, coz i did somehow, but it doesn't work anyway :)

I'll do try this one... thanks for the info.

Mac is UNIX and Linux is Linux, Ok thanks for the correction.
I told you im new in Mac and Linux file formats, but i tried the Ubuntu Linux and im still crawling in the new interface of my monitor :))

@nixgeek

Yes I tried Ubuntu in my HP Lappy and it is nice but its sad that there is no Adobe Player.

Thanks also for the info and i'll try one of your advice too.

Oh, here what i did installing some of OS in my iBook Clamshell.
I tried to install a copied cd of Mac OS 9 and it was copied in Nero as Disk Copy.
After it was copied to a CD, i tried booting the Clamshell to CD (by pressing C as it boots) but still i the Question Mark and Mac Smiling Face appears.

and is it compatible, that i installed ubuntu in my HP Lappy and turn the HDD to Mac iBook with the ubuntu installed but it doest boot the HDD with Mac.
or does Mac recognize a ISO bootable disc that was burned in Windows Magic ISO.

I had replace already a good condition HDD same specs of the old HDD that was installed, I als test the CD Drive and it is working properly even the Memory module.. all is fine.

If there is something wrong with my installation, please do tell me.

@nixgeek

Oh i forgot to tell you, maybe that i installed the Ubuntu 8.04 is it possible in my Mac? or ill install the 6.10 Edgy Eft, 6.06 Dapper Drake and older versions?

Following your instructions using the Alternate Installation over the Live CD.
After i get the ISO... ill just copy the whole ISO files to a blank CD and boot it in Mac?
or i still need some tweaking burning the ISO files? can you give me instruction in this case...

Thanks

Last edited:
@nixgeek

Oh i forgot to tell you, maybe that i installed the Ubuntu 8.04 is it possible in my Mac? or ill install the 6.10 Edgy Eft, 6.06 Dapper Drake and older versions?

Following your instructions using the Alternate Installation over the Live CD.
After i get the ISO... ill just copy the whole ISO files to a blank CD and boot it in Mac?
or i still need some tweaking burning the ISO files? can you give me instruction in this case...

Thanks

BTW, Adobe Flash is available for the x86 version of any GNU/Linux distribution. It's the PowerPC GNU/Linux distros that lack the Adobe version, but Gnash should suffice for general Flash stuff.

Also, the link I provided for Ubuntu in my post is the Alternate Installation for Ubuntu 8.04 on PowerPC. Just click on the word "Alternate Installation" which is hyperlinked in my previous post.

As for making the discs with the ISOs, you don't just simply copy the ISO over to the disc. You'll end up with a disc that contains the ISO file, which isn't of much use. The ISO file is actually a disk image so you need to use an application that can tranform the image into a working disc. Disk Utility in Mac OS X can do this, and so can programs like Nero or Roxio on Windows.

How to burn an ISO image to disc in Windows.

How to burn an ISO image to disc in Mac OS X.

Good luck!

@nixgeek
I have the Ubuntu 8.04 on PowerPC file transfered in cd. The problem now is, the installation can't detect the hard drive, but when i test the hard drive in the other lappy it is working properly and scanned 100% working. Then when i put again the HDD in iBook, the Ubuntu installation really can't detect the HDD, why is it?

@nixgeek
I already check those cable connected inside the unit and all cables are connected.

Do i need a Disk Utility for this?

Sounds strange that it wouldn't detect that hard drive inside the iBook. Ubuntu should detect your internal hard drive just fine. Are you perhaps trying to install this on an external hard drive? I've never actually given a try on an external Firewire or USB hard drive so I can't speak from experience on whether this works or not with GNU/Linux, especially on the PowerPC architecture.

IF this is on the internal drive of the iBook, remember that when the installation gets to a point where it runs the partitioner, you need to choose to either have Ubuntu automatically create the partitions or you would have to create them yourself manually. It would probably be a safer bet to let the partitioner automatically create the partitions for you.

Are you using the Alternate Installation? If not, I recommend that you use that instead of the Desktop Installation (which has the live environment). The Alternate Installation has always been successful for me and others that I've recommended it to.

Also, take into consideration the amount of memory you need which I mentioned above in my previous post.

im in to 70% of installation... bad thing is "installation said my cd is corrupted so i need to download Ubuntu again :(

But you really helped, thanks for this infos...

ill try the alternate installation then
i'll post back again after my installation is done or what may be the results are.

Thank you. ;)

im in to 70% of installation... bad thing is "installation said my cd is corrupted so i need to download Ubuntu again :(

But you really helped, thanks for this infos...

ill try the alternate installation then
i'll post back again after my installation is done or what may be the results are.

Thank you. ;)

No problem.

A few things to note with this current version of Ubuntu. The partition manager has a bug in it that was fixed in the x86 version but not on the PowerPC version. Apparently, it has a problem writing the new partitions to the hard drive. I've used another live disc to recreate the partitions I needed to install Ubuntu, rebooted into the Ubuntu Alternate Installation Disc, and configured the partitions. Once I did that, it was finally able to write the partitions to disk. Also, when you burn the disc from the ISO image, make sure that you do it at a low-enough burn speed, otherwise you'll get errors even if the image downloaded fine.

No problem.

A few things to note with this current version of Ubuntu. The partition manager has a bug in it that was fixed in the x86 version but not on the PowerPC version. Apparently, it has a problem writing the new partitions to the hard drive.

This is what i get when ever i install different versions of Ubuntu and Kubuntu, it say's "installation cannot write to disk" it has this partition=0 failed loading

there is this option when this appears during installation, an option that you can use commands... but unfortunately i dont have some ideas on this, I told you im so noob on Mac Commands:( (coz im a Windows user.)

Can you give me some commands on this? in how to manual partition the HDD during setup installation? so when ever it appears again in the mid of installation i can use those commands to re-format the disk.

I dont wanna give up on this, coz i dont wanna trash my PowerPC :)

Thanks in advance again.

Back