how to keep my 3 internal hdd's appart?

Fea

Registered
I have three HDD in my power mac, or mac pro (I always mix those upp)

One of them gave up, the thing died... now the question is, how can i determinate which of these three it is?

Any ideas?

thx in advance

Ow yes, I almost forgot, doesn't anybody of you think we need to build some kind of monument for all those dead hard disk, and all lost data they represent...? I mean, I just lost the pictures of my little baby daughter, hurts...

Use Utilities> Disk Utility to get specific model number info on the drives (at least the good ones), and use that to identify the bad one.

I guess it's too late to tell you to get an external drive for backup?

Everything fails sooner or later! You need to back up!

yess, unless of course if your back up is the first one to fail..., now this one is the second!, all in the same week....

If the drives have different names, then you would look for the name of the bad drive...
I hope you didn't actually name all the drives the same.

You can use your Disk Utility to both decide which drive has failed (by trying to test, or Repair the drive), and, if possible, you can try retrieving the data from the failed hard drive. Have you already tried that?

luckily yes, i named the drives, that will make it easier, i guess, now, is it véry difficult to remove a hdd from a mac?, its trivial in a pc system, i dont know how it works in a mac

by the way, mercy for the fast reply's :)

and about, my pictures, I think that my wife and mother have multiple copies already on their own system... no loss then, (outside my complete music collection, but thats not even an irritant)

A MacPro is very simple to remove the hard drive, much easier than in a PC system.
Just open the the side door (there's a latch in the back of the tower), and pull the drive out. There's nothing that you need to disconnect. Transfer the bracket to a replacement hard drive, and slide the new hard drive back in to your MacPro, format the drive, and you're done!

I successfully removed the faulthy hdd, my mac didn't disapear into a puf of radioactive smoke :)

So, the next question is, which kind of hdd would be the best buy?, mac's hardware is a bit expensive... can i get a good deal with other brands? will it fit?, they did or didn't included any artificial differences?

also, what do you people think is the best synchronization software, to keep a copy of all the date on a separate disk?

Back