How to learn UNIX?

Durbrow

Registered
Can anyone recommend some BEGINNER-INTERMEDIATE books on learning UNIX? Or even FAQs and online sources? I'm almost done with Matisse Enzer's Unix for Mac OS X. Thanks!

One of the best books is "UNIX System administration handbook" by evi nemeth. It is a great reference book, and a great way to learn how things work. The latest is the 3rd edition (purple book due to purple cover) and this book has been around a long long time, I still have the 1st edition (yellow book) which was released in 1989. The 2nd edition is the red book. Most unix folk who have been around awhile will know exactly what you mean when you say "yellow book", "red book", or "purple book". The book is pricey, but well worth the money. If you doubt it's worth it, read some of the reviews of the book online :)

Brian

I've got a few, one that I like is "Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide" Osborne Press; Steve Shah. Only problem is it's a little outdated (it uses RedHat 6 as a base for explanation, and we're now at RedHat 8) but most of the explanations are pretty good (xinetd, sendmail, basic FTP/SSH/HTTP protocols, portmapper, getting around in the shell, NIC configuration, etc).

Alternatively you can get one of those Mac OS X Power Users books, which usually start off explaining the Aqua interface in ridiculous detail, and then get into the Darwin subsystem.

btoneill, is that the series that was mentioned in the movie 'Hackers' as "UNIX administrator's handbook, also known as the big ugly red book that won't fit on a shelf"? That thing was huge...

Also, check out the linuxdoc.org site at 'tldp.

I have found the 'Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide' of immense value, though it is for the intermediate-to-advanced shell scripter.

dani++

Originally posted by michaelsanford
btoneill, is that the series that was mentioned in the movie 'Hackers' as "UNIX administrator's handbook, also known as the big ugly red book that won't fit on a shelf"? That thing was huge... [/B]

Not that I know of, it could have been, but it's not that big of a book, it has alot of pages tho, i think the 3rd edition has over 800.

Brian

Back