How to REBUILD DESKTOP in OSX???

bopsi

Registered
Is there any function in OSX that perform that OS9 function without OS9 or Classic installed on the HD??

Thanks for any response

Having a problem??

rebuilding the desktop file doesn't relate to OS X, as it doesn't use a desktop file (hmm...) But a similar function is performed by deleting the cache files, especially the system cache files, You can download, and run an app that allows you to delete those cache files easily, such as OnyX, or Maintain1, or Cocktail (no longer freeware, however). I like OnyX, deleting the cache files then restarting, will rebuild those cache files, so the first reboot will be somewhat longer.

Originally posted by DeltaMac
Having a problem??

rebuilding the desktop file doesn't relate to OS X, as it doesn't use a desktop file (hmm...) But a similar function is performed by deleting the cache files, especially the system cache files, You can download, and run an app that allows you to delete those cache files easily, such as OnyX, or Maintain1, or Cocktail (no longer freeware, however). I like OnyX, deleting the cache files then restarting, will rebuild those cache files, so the first reboot will be somewhat longer.

Cough-cough, DesktopRebuildX

Read the description - it doesn't really rebuild any desktop files, since there are none. It does the same thing as Onyx, pretty much.

I know, but this _is_ clearly the best solution for him, since it's the only app devoted solely to his problem.

bopsi never stated the problem, or if there is a problem, this may not be any assistance. calling an app DesktopRebuildX, that actually removes (only) 2 cache files, without removing other cache files that can be more problematical, could be worse than doing nothing at all. I would rephrase my first question to bopsi - - What help do you need, from a function like rebuilding the desktop?

if u use carracho (!), an app for backup :D , the file browser window shows the list of the files on the server with an icon.

this icon is showed as a "broken" sheet if the upload is not complete.

but sometimes the icon is a white sheet for all the files and u can't recognize incomplete uploads.

in forums and on many sites, it's written that u can rebuild your desktop from os 9 in order to view the "broken" icon.

but if u haven't os 9?!?!?

The only way to do that, is choosing Rebuild Desktop from the Classic pref pane, but I don't know if that option is available on a system without a detected OS 9 System Folder.
(Carracho as a backup app, is that a Joke? ::ha:: ) I think a forced re-bind would have the same effect. Still not a desktop rebuild, and not for the intended purpose, We still don't know why the poster (bopsi) needed the answer.

Thanks guys for all your help. The purpose of RD function in for one small app that wants to perform it in OSX. Since I dont have OS9 on my system I am trying to find cover up version in OSX.
Looks like no success.
Thanks anyway.

what? :confused:
Why would any app 'want' to rebuild the desktop (must be a classic app of some kind) except as a recommendation during install of some older software. No self-respecting OS X app would mention rebuilding the desktop :cool:
But you can go to the Classic Pref pane and click the Advanced tab, and then click Rebuild Desktop (again, This may not be available if Classic is not set up on your system)

actually os x has a ton of desktop files. ever notice those invisible .ds_store files? that's what they are. you'll find one on every root level and in every folder. and yes, some of them do become corrupt from time to time or so i've heard reported. but the way to deal with it is to trash them and let them replace themselves (which you will notice they always do if you've ever tried to get rid of any :p ). not that this is probably related to anything that the original inquiry is about. but the concept of clearing your caches and running other maintainence procedures is one that too many people seem to forget around here. it's amazing what just repairing permissions, prebinding and running the crons on a regular basis will do to improve performance.

Back