How to Tell if You are a Designer

Trip

Registered
I found this strangely true for me, so I sent it over to a creative firm here in Provo and they also agreed that it was mostly true. So, here you go:

How to Tell if You are a Designer

10. You're extremely cocky.
9. You consider "art" and "design" to be different things.
8. You try to find a pattern to everything.
7. You know when colors match and don't.
6. You are a perfectionalist (to a certain degree).
5. Math is/was not your strongpoint in school.
4. You have a "digital portfolio".
3. Your first "real" piece of artwork was a logo for yourself.
2. You accept negative comments, but shy away from positive ones.
1. You love creativity in everything. Including homework, food, TV, and more!

So there you have it. Rate yourself up and let me know what you get, for me...I'm 100% designer. :)

:eek:
Pretty close, except for like 2 of 'em. (I'm not cockey - I think, and I can't design anything for myself to save my life! :p). I'm not great with colors, but getting better. :)
Everything else is pretty deadon.

How to Tell if You are a geek

9. You consider "code" an art form.
8. You know damn well that everything DOES have a pattern to it.
7. You only know how to express colors in Hex or RGB.
6. You are a perfectionalist (to a certain degree).
5. Math in school was too boring.
4. You have digitized everything.
3. Your first "real" piece of code was was a script, to autmate a 10 minute task, that you spent 10 hours creating.
2. You don't have much contact with humans except via IRC...
1. You eat and sleep only so you'll have enough energy to code more.

There we go! I whole-heartedly agree with TomyWillB's list! :)
*Laughing while wiping away tears* :D
Especially about the script! :)

Let's see...
  1. You're extremely cocky.[/b] I wouldn't say extremely... √
  2. You consider "art" and "design" to be different things. They aren't? √
  3. You try to find a pattern to everything. Mm, nah... X
  4. You know when colors match and don't. Sure... √
  5. You are a perfectionalist (to a certain degree). Depends on the context. √
  6. Math is/was not your strongpoint in school. Are you kidding??? X
  7. You have a "digital portfolio". It's not "organized," but whatever. √
  8. Your first "real" piece of artwork was a logo for yourself. Not really... X
  9. You accept negative comments, but shy away from positive ones. Negative, positive, whatever, just keep them coming! X
  10. You love creativity in everything. Including homework, food, TV, and more! Yech. X
Okay... 5/10. I guess I'm not a designer. Damn.
  1. You're extremely cocky. See previous answer. √
  2. You consider "code" an art form. It's not? √
  3. You know damn well that everything DOES have a pattern to it. Hell yeah! √
  4. You only know how to express colors in Hex or RGB. I can barely do that. X
  5. You are a perfectionalist (to a certain degree). Okay, we've established this already. √
  6. Math in school was too boring. I'd say... um, duh! √
  7. You have digitized everything. Naw. X
  8. Your first "real" piece of code was was a script, to autmate a 10 minute task, that you spent 10 hours creating. It probably was. √
  9. You don't have much contact with humans except via IRC... Or Macosx.com... or Nexus... or... √
  10. You eat and sleep only so you'll have enough energy to code more. Please. I barely do any coding as it is. X
7/10... so I'm more of a programmer than a designer, even though I do more designing than programming. Great, I'm confused. :confused:

How to tell if you are cocky:
1) You can't help but point out that there is no such word as "perfectionalist"
2) A correctly matched colour is whatever one YOU choose.
3) If someone criticises your portfolio, you give them a "digital" response. The middle digit, that is. ;-)

How to tell if you're a designer? When your paycheck continues to come in. :D

Great list Tommy, though I'd pick CMYK over rgb. :)

How to tell if you use a mac(home users, okay!):

9. You consider "code" .... what?

7. You only know how to express colors in iMac models
6. You are a perfectionalist

4. You have digitized everything.
3. You spend 10 minutes on what people using the OTHER computers spend 10 hours.
2. You don't have much contact with humans except via .... iChat??
1. You eat and sleep only so you'll have enough energy to criticize M$ some more

(okay so i couldnt find an analogy for every line! :p)

Aww, Trip. Calm down, buddy. :-D

Well, looks like I'm 80% designer, 20% Geek and 20% Mac user ... which makes me 120%. That's something to be cocky about! :-D

Oh, and by the way, by Sabsar's system my car is Strawberry with a Graphite interior. And by Randman's readings, my first childhood painting had a sky in 100% Cyan and grass in Pantone 243.

lol, I had to admit that made me laugh, you really hit a few dead on. I'm a designer to heart, but lately I've been programming things like crazy, levels of which i can't even explain. i've always been good at math, well beyond good, so I guess knowing trig and algebra and all those formulas is handy these days.

I am my worst critic, me cocky.... naw, I think of it as more knowledgeable of my abilities and limitations but being able to work around those limitations. I can't recall my first piece of code, I'm sure i could redo it now in about 6 lines compared to all the work around I did before. Can't say i love creativity in everything, but I have to give respect to decent design, I'm not much for patterns, repetition gets boring after a while. Perfectionist, yea i can see that one, I will tweak away until i get it right.

Here is my latest piece...
http://www.urbansory.com/macosx/LilMom.jpg

Piece Details... 8 X 10, original image dates back to 1964, the design on the dress was to bad to restore so i recreated a new design. All the writing and pen work was done by my Mom in I believe 1967 or around that time and normal aging over time. This was a color piece but it was so faded i had to make a it a doutone. Time spent... it didn't take all that long, I just wanted it to be right, maybe 3 nights and 2 days.

I've strayed away from image manipulation to this degree, but i made this for my grandparents for Christmas, then finished it off with a nice frame engraved with my Mom's name. So i guess this has become my favorite piece, on a personal level.

So my number one would be... 1.Pure Passion of Designing/ The impact on Others

Trip said:
I found this strangely true for me, so I sent it over to a creative firm here in Provo and they also agreed that it was mostly true. So, here you go:)

Math can not only be astoundingly creative, but is all about problem solving with a good plan. Isn't that was good design is all about?

That mum picture is awesome, urban.

You don't NEEEEEED to be cocky to be a good designer/geek/doctor/architect/anything.
Cockiness is only what the uncertain professionals add to it, how they act. When you trust on yourself, you can leave the cockiness and be just yourself. In the field I was supposed to work, I was also supposed to be cocky. I had a really hard mask on, and to take it off it took years (which I didn't want to do either, but someone/something changed me). Now.. that field and for big part design etc feels alianated. For the cocky people.

When I first saw this thread I was looking for a short zen story to answer with. A man was very good in bowing, but he wanted to become a master.. he spent years with a zen master, and his bowing was greater than of no one else. When someone came to be his student, wanting to learn how to be the best, he answered something like "what is bowing?".

When you grow together with the tools, the method etc, you can turn to that as well. You can become a great painter and forget what is a brush or oil color as you can think and speak with those tools.

What else is cockiness than a sense of extreme superiority, or hidden inferiority complex or something? Why would you NEED to be cocky to be a good _anything_?

I guess this was frased kinda wrong, my bad sorry.

This is a list of traits that "normally" appear in "creative designers". Traits. Not requirements. ;)

Stereotypes, in other words.

Trip, change your title already! You do not suck at designing, or you never would have wowed everybody with those icons you made. And if you insist on leaving it there, stop talking about design. :p

By leaving it up there, he invites comments and compliments. Very savvy. :) And despite the often-negative image of stereotypes, many are often true.
And don't forget, design involves a myriad of media.

I do suck at designing. Nothing more to it. But...I talk about design because I LOVE it so much!

But I still suck.

Ok, just got into a heated discussion with a friend. I told her i am confident that i am one of the top designers in Cleveland and I know i can hang with the top designers in Ohio, and eventually I'll test my skills in a larger market. Now considering this isn't a New York City, the market is smaller, I know this is true. She doesn't know the design field, she isn't even a designer in no way whatsoever. This is my career, i've been doing this for years. So i want to know, do you guys think my statement was a bit much, or like i said considering the market for those skills in this region, i am likely right? Or was that the cocky designer in me that felt disrespected when she told me that my retouched photo of my Mom could be done by someone she knew at a Kinko's? Not that this person couldn't, hell if i know, I haven't seen any work by them, but she hasn't even seen the before/after of this picture yet she tells me this.

Off topic, i do plan to move to a larger market, i like competition, and challenge, and i want BIG projects that require crazy amounts of work. So Urbansory has a few things in the works that hopefully will require some relocation.

And to anyone in Ohio that happens to read this, in no way am i being disrespectful to any of the local designers. We all have to believe in our own abilities, because if we give up, we lose hope and there would be little reason to strive for things, and I don't want to lose my entrepreneurial edge. But i do want to be modest, there is always somebody better, but thats no reason to back down.

Back