How to Tell if You are a Designer

Are you a professional designer? A graphic designer, I take it.
As a designer/editor, I would says yes it was cocky of you to say so, but if you truly believe it and can back it up. Personally, I don't believe a person should toot their horn unless looking for a job, better to have others tell you that you are the best.
Now if you know the work of other designers in Ohio and you feel confident that your work stands up in in an impartial comparison, all the better.
However, when you say it to another person, especially one not in your field, it'll come across as bragging and a bit of low self-esteem.
If she said that about your photo, you should take that as constructive criticism. Design is always for others, never design for yourself, or to impress your peers, and often the best designs are like good writing. When you can appreciate a design without having the sense that it was "designed", you're doing well.
Ask her why she said what she said and see if she has any validity. Sometimes a person outside another's field has a clearer perspective on it.
Show her other work and let her judge your skills for yourself. If you're good, she'll notice.

If you haven't seen the other Ohian designers' work to judge against yours, then yes, you sound very cocky. But if your friend hasn't seen yours to judge at all, then her statements are somewhat unfounded. And, of course, like Randman said, there's always a bigger fish.

I guess a professional designer, developer, scripter, and a little video production at this time. Can i back it up, yes. I never said THE BEST, i said among the best, and she just took it way out of context. i understand what you guys are saying. Like i said, no matter what there is always someone better, not to mention there truly is no way to truly judge due to individual styles, target audience...

Criticism doesn't bother me, take it into consideration and you move on, her comment did due to the fact that she didn't see my work and has no idea exactly what i do. You can explain it, but for whatever reason some people just don't understand fully what New media is. Actually i don't even know if i consider myself a "designer", i do so many things, i don't really focus on any one area, I just get the job done at the best quality and meet my clients needs. A New Media Developer or something.

And i wasn't tooting my own horn, but i see what you mean, in no way was I bragging, she doesn't even know my field, and honestly, i can't recall exactly how the whole thing started. All i know I was working when she called, then asked why would i leave Ohio for a larger market or something... I think I said the market here is small and the work i want to do is not being produced here, then all hell broke out.

I'm good at certain areas and i like anyone else can always improve and have weak points. Cocky, something i really don't consider myself, I'm such a calm and collect person. Very work oriented and hard on myself to ensure the best quality product. If i didn't have some kind of talent and wasn't ready to backup my claim, I'm sure i would never have said it, but i stand by it. And i only hope to get better with more experience.

Good point Arden, i did what she did, she did say i don't know whats out there, thats why i said Among the Top, that can be a very LARGE number.

Great insight on this guys, different viewpoints on things is always helpful. i see my faults, no harm was intended, nor was i bragging on myself. i do what i do, if there is competition, I step up to meet it, I wouldn't have it any other way. Designing wouldn't be fun if there wasn't some pressure, challenges, long hours, late nights (up till 4:30 again) and late content... < and a lot of those never change, there basically expected on every project. Hell, I'm months behind on my own stuff.

Really? Wow. If you hear it from others... something may be to this. More on what i say on these threads or this one post?

I definitly don't want to be known as... The Definition of... Cocky, because thats not cool and not close to what i'm about. But i would like to be confident, thats a quality i know i have.

How to know you are an interaction designer:

10. You're never cocky around developers who you subtly lead on to believe that they are qualified to be involved in the process of UI design.
9. You consider "art" and "design" to be different things.
8. You try to find the simplest and most logical pattern to everything.
7. You let a graphic artist tell you which colors match and don't.
6. You are a perfectionalist (to a certain degree).
5. Math was one of many abandoned interests in school.
4. You have a portfolio of working and successful applications.
3. Your first "real" piece of interaction design was a script for your Mac.
2. You accept only the user's comments.
1. You love creativity + verifiable evidence in everything.

I certainly hope I didn't come off as cocky either - I think the big lesson for any type of designer - graphic, UI, code, database... is to realize the best applications/sites come from true collaboration with all types of people - graphic, interaction/UI, developers, business, users... even marketing! No one single person or area of expertise has all the answers and only by working together within our own areas of expertise do we all create the best solutions/designs. It seems such a simple thing, but is very hard to realize in practice - some people just don't get it. Being more aware of other people's roles and expertise helps when you are left to do it all by yourself too!

It's good if you one knows his or her strengths and can play to them.
It's even better if one knows his or her weaknesses and can avoid them.

Urbansory said:
Really? Wow. If you hear it from others... something may be to this. More on what i say on these threads or this one post?

Well, when I first met you I just got the impression of cockyness. It was a long time ago, but ever since then I've tried to avoid you. You're really not that bad in my eyes now, but back then I didn't want to deal with you. :(

Trip said:
Well, when I first met you I just got the impression of cockyness. It was a long time ago, but ever since then I've tried to avoid you. You're really not that bad in my eyes now, but back then I didn't want to deal with you. :(

THE DEFINITION OF... iNTIMIDATION , lol , that doesn't have all that of a bad, nor a positive impression either.

AVOIDANCE IS GOOD, VERY GOOD. :mad:

*Joking :p

urban, thats basically what i do for a living right now, photo restoration.

pretty cool some of the old stuff people bring to me :)

anyways, another couple things...

designers say colour, and are very much elitist ;)

Non-American-English-speaking designers say colour and that don't mean they're elitist. Besides, if Madonna can go cockney, it's a bit passe.

Back