how to transfer files from old mac to new G5?

yanges

MacHead
i am going to be getting my new 2.0ghz dual PowerMac next week and was wondering what the simplest way is to transfer files from my Cube to my new G5?

i am running 10.2.x on the Cube and will have Tiger on my G5...

i want to be able to transfer my music files for iTunes, my photos for iPhoto and hopefully my accumulated Mail files to Mail in Tiger...

i will have both computers connected thru my Linsys router so i figured i could access the hard drive on the Cube thru that connection and go from there...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

goto prefs...sharing and select personal sharing. then on the g5 goto network when you double click on the HD its on the left. the name of your cube will be in there. double click it and it'll show the home directory. did this help?

You can also connect the two using FireWire Target Disk Mode. This will let you mount your Cube's internal HD on your G5 as an external FireWire HD.

To use FW Target Disk Mode, simply connect a FireWire cable to both Macs, and boot up your Cube while holding the T key (T is for "Target"). Keep holding it until you see the FireWire logo on your Cube's monitor (of if you don't have it hooked up to a monitor anymore, until you see it mount on your G5). This gives you great speed.

Apple has a program for trasferring files from an old Mac to a new one built into their setup assistant. I think it probably uses FW Target Disk Mode. It'll automatically copy your prefs and files and stuff right over. HOWEVER, I'm not sure if it would work going from Jaguar straight to Tiger (I'm assuming your G5 will have Tiger). I've never used this method myself.

I personally would use the Target Disk Mode method.

This is what that migration assistant will use on your new mac, and when you first turn it on it will ask you if you have an older mac which you would like to transfer files and settings etc from.

if you have already gone past this point in the initial boot/ setup process you can run it again from application>utilities>migration assistant in tiger only.

You will need a Firewire cable to do this though (6pin - 6pin), and if you plan to network the 2 machines anyway it may be easier for you to do that through your router. Just be aware that you can cause some serious issues if you try to drag user settings/preferences over the network method!

i really just want to move files and stuff i mentioned, not user settings/prefs..

i will set those up fresh on the G5...

can i just move my email files alone to work with Mail, iPhoto photo folders to work with iPhoto, iTunes music files to work with iTunes etc??

Thanks!

AndyUK said:
I personally would use the Target Disk Mode method.

This is what that migration assistant will use on your new mac, and when you first turn it on it will ask you if you have an older mac which you would like to transfer files and settings etc from.

if you have already gone past this point in the initial boot/ setup process you can run it again from application>utilities>migration assistant in tiger only.

You will need a Firewire cable to do this though (6pin - 6pin), and if you plan to network the 2 machines anyway it may be easier for you to do that through your router. Just be aware that you can cause some serious issues if you try to drag user settings/preferences over the network method!

i'd do the migration wizard, it sorts out apps/ classic apps/ aplication support etc nicely.

you can always create a new user or trash the old one if you don't want the prefs.

It should be very easy to transfer your mail and music and stuff. For the most part, they're all neatly contained in their own folders. You will probably also need at least some of your preferences files, though. For example, I think Mail keeps all your mailboxes in its own folder, but some vital account info is stored in its preferences file.

You should be able to do it all manually if you want. Just drag your old files into the right places on your new machine, and in theory that should do it. I say "in theory" because I've never upgraded from Jaguar to Tiger. It's possible the migration assistant would do some fancy conversions of your mailboxes or something (I doubt it, but it might). But since you can run the migration assistant at any time, you might as well try it manually if that's what you'd prefer. If it doesn't work, then you can use the assistant.

Again, I'd recommend FireWire Target Disk Mode for this. But I've never had problems doing this will file sharing over ethernet, either (unless you count sucky performance). So, your call.

i was looking in my prefs for mail and see folders containing various mailboxes i have within my account..

can i drag these to my new G5 pref folder for just the ones i want to transfer?

Back