[HOW TO] uninstall tiger and install leopard in an iBook G4?

kristinetp

Registered
hi. anyone who can help me on how to uninstall my current OS Tiger and install OS Leopard? I am using an iBook G4 1.42 GHz PowerPC with 1.5 GB RAM. 60GB HDD. Are my specs ok to run Leopard? thanks.

No need to uninstall Tiger, just to install Leopard.
The Leopard install will update your Tiger system.

Why do you want to remove Tiger?
Are you having problems with your present system software?

Really the best way to uninstall any OS is to format the disk and start over. That is not always practical but it os effective. Backing up /home should get all your data but there could be a few plugins or preference panes that are missed doing that though.

Really the best way to uninstall any OS is to format the disk and start over. That is not always practical but it os effective. Backing up /home should get all your data but there could be a few plugins or preference panes that are missed doing that though.
If the OP wipes her hard drive, then she will lose more than just a few plugins and preference panes. She will also lose bundled applications like iMovie, iPhoto, and iDVD along with any third-party apps that were bundled with the computer. These are not included with retail versions of MacOS X. The only way to get them back is from computer's System Restore disc or from a retail distribution of iLife.

To reiterate: There is no need to wipe the hard drive in order to install a new version of the OS.

No need to uninstall Tiger, just to install Leopard.
The Leopard install will update your Tiger system.

Why do you want to remove Tiger?
Are you having problems with your present system software?

Actually, i am not having problems with the Tiger OS...I just want to update my OS so that i could install more new apps. Thanks for the tip.

I would recommend performing an "Archive & Install" procedure of Leopard.

This will retain all installed applications and all your user data and also install a clean bundle of Leopard, while backing up your Tiger system data. This will not allow you to "go back" to Tiger in the event that you don't like Leopard, but it will retail Tiger's system files in case you need to restore one or two data files.

Using the original install disk for the computer WILL bring back the original bundles. This is just iLife, it isn't like Windows where Mac's come with weird software bundles from every which way.

There is no direct need to wipe and install, this is true. It can be a good idea in some cases, all I was commenting on is what the OP wanted to know, how to uninstall an OS.

Back