how to unzip a .exe?

voice-

Registered
Aspyr said you can get contents from a .exe with UnZipper...according to VersionTracker, this does not exist...any other tool that can give me the contents of a .exe-file?

symphonix

Scratch & Sniff Committee
Often, but not always, you can use StuffIt Expander, which came with OS X. You can drop the Exe file on it, and see if it works - it depends on what method was used to create the self-extracting Exe in the first place.

voice-

Registered
No, Stufil Expander don't work well...tried it and got an empty folder

DeltaMac

Tech
Sounds like that's all you get on a mac. Does this .exe have something you can even use on a Mac? I get some .exe that will expand with unstuffit, but leaves you nothing that a Mac can use. This one might just be code only, and has to have a PC (or Virt PC?)... find a PC to run it on. Might find it's just a virus!?

voice-

Registered
OK, the problem was that the exe wasn't downloaded completely, downloaded it again and Stuffit Expander could read the contents

tismey

Official Bartender
Originally posted by bobw
.exe files are Executable Programs for a PC, their not Stuffed files.
Actually, SOME .exec files are the equivalent of a .sea file on a Mac - self extracting .zip files. If you know for definite that the .exe file you are dealing with is just a .zip file in disguise, then you can simply rename it a .zip, and Stuffit Expander should unzip it fine. I've done it a few times.