How to use Diskwarrior?

Ok so I got my hands on a copy of Diskwarrior.
I install it and crap but it says I can't fix the start-up disk and I need to boot into that CD. How do I do that?

I go to System Prefs. and Start-up disk but the DW CD isn't there.

With the Diskwarrior CD in your CD drive, restart your computer, while holding down the "C" key. This will force the computer to boot from the CD. You will then be able to use every feature of Diskwarrior.

Whe you are finished with the repair work, restart the computer but don't hold down the "C" key. The computer should then boot normally from the hard drive.

If you're going to use a copy, it has to be burned as a bootable CD, a non-bootable CD won't show in Startup Disk. It's a good tool to have around, but purchase your own, it's a lot less headache, plus you're entitled to some support from the company. You'll also get the latest version, which is 3.0, comes with an OS X bootable repair disk (these are quite sophisticated to create as OS X bootable, so no wonder your copy won't boot, an OS 9 bootable is much simpler) Good Luck :)

Originally posted by baldprof
With the Diskwarrior CD in your CD drive, restart your computer, while holding down the "C" key. This will force the computer to boot from the CD. You will then be able to use every feature of Diskwarrior.

Whe you are finished with the repair work, restart the computer but don't hold down the "C" key. The computer should then boot normally from the hard drive.
Wait so I hold the "c" key while im shutting down or while I'm starting up. Holding down the "c" button while that white apple screen the whole time is kind of annoying. =\

Hold down the C key while the computer restarts; by this I mean select restart from the Apple menu then hold down the C key. I think you'll be able to tell when it has started to access the CD; when this happens you can release the C key. Once the boot process has finished then run Diskwarrier.

Booting from a DiskWarrior CD could take as long as 4 minutes, so keep holding the C key down until it boots.

Back