How would you rate Tiger

• Great

• Good

• Fair

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Convert

Tech
Hey, for those lucky enough to have it, how would you rate Tiger? Is it the next definitive OS that everyone needs, or is it just a nice add on OS that some could benefit from?

I don't know why but I can't post a poll, so you'll have to post ratings by post.

Could you give it a rating out of 10, and explain why?

Thanks,
Mo.

I'd give it a Ten. Runs great for me. No problems with any software so far, and a nice noticible speed improvement over Panther.

i'd give it a five. it's a needed progression, but if you think what panther gave us over jaguar (exposé, in line searching etc) and now what tigers given us (dashboard and spotlight), i would have said tiger needed more, big, stuff. exposé completely changed the way i work, and i was no longer frsutrated by macos' apparent lack of any window management. spotlight isn't that good, but its a worthy addition.

when the bugs are ironed out, maybe i'll give it more, but i wouldn't say it's essential just yet

Panther, if you remember, is a very good OS. didn't really need changing, to be honest.

If the scale is, as you suggest, something like a nice update with some useful add ons (1) to a must have system (2), then my rating is a 5. I like Tiger very much and am glad to have it, but it has changed very little in my life. I like Tiger very much because I like Panther very much.

It is a noticeable improvement over Panther, a lot easy to find everything you need. My work is upgrading to Tiger at the end of may i cannot wait :D

but it is not neccessary but it is a nice add-on to OS X. 8 out 10

8. I like Tiger, and I have had no problems so far with it. Everything works as it should.

Spotlight has been very very useful. Prior to having Spotlight, I'd have trouble when I needed to cite existing work when writing papers. I'd remember some claims or results that were previously published by certain researchers, but I couldn't remember where I had read them, or which paper they were in. Since all the papers that I read are available either in Postscript or PDF form, Spotlight makes it much much simpler to search for them. Paper writing has become much more fun!

I was originally skeptical of Dashboard. I'd played a little with Konfabulator but I wasn't impressed. Dashboard is cool. Some of the widgets that I can't live without now are:
  • Translator (English->Chinese, Chinese->English)
  • Stickies replace the actual stickies I have around my monitors and is much easier to refer to than the stickies that came with Panther
  • Get the Wikipedia widget. Love that.
  • I like the weather applet. Honestly, I do :) Saves me from having to look out the window to know what the weather is like outside my lab.
  • There are loads more widgets that are available and I'm sure there are things you can find to your liking.

Safari now has an integrated dictionary. I like the fact that I can highlight a word, bring up a context menu and look it up in the dictionary. A very handy feature. There are other improvements to Safari, like being able to view PDF documents in the browser, and general speed improvements.

Java 1.5 is available as a separate download, and that alone may have convinced me to switch :).

There are some things I don't like about Tiger. First of all being Mail 2. I mean, what were they thinking with that toolbar. There are some idiosyncrasies in the GUI, like in Mail and System Preferences where the title bar grows to fill up the entire toolbar too. Weird....

After playing with Tiger in stores, I basically agree with what I've read on this forum and elsewhere - Tiger is brilliant, but I probably won't bother upgrading my Powerbook because Panther is already doing a great job for me.

I simply don't have much use for the few big things in Tiger such as Spotlight, multiuser iChat AV, etc..

Maybe Dashboard will become a must have app once more widgets have been created.

In any case, I'll probably just get a new iMac with Tiger preinstalled sometime in the not too distant future.

On it's own merits, I'd give Tiger 10 out of 10.

As an update to Panther, I'd give Tiger 7 out of 10.

Kap

Well it works perfect for me, my PB is also happy and a bit faster, so I´d give it 9.

tomi

Stability 4/10 - I am having programs like Unreal Tournament and iTunes Crash on me (and being unable to force quit them)

Speed 10/10 - speed is much more improved over 10.3

Features 8/10 - Automator doesn't do enough for me to use it. Spotlight doesn't have preferences that would be usefull (like which default view you want to use, or the ability to show a specific number of items such as 8 pictures at one time, 20 documents, and 3 applications)

Cool Factor 10/10 - The RSS screensaver just tops the cake

Over all, i give tiger an 8/10

Somewhere between 4 and 9, depending on what I'm doing the day I'm rating it. It's indeed a nice OS and delivers several improvements to 10.3, but is too buggy and unstable. Safari seems to be back at Public Beta level when it comes to speed and stability. H.264 is nice, but sloppy even on my PowerMac, presumably because of bad hardware optimization. I get random error messages and notices about applications updating preferences I've never set. Text antialiasing settings seems to live their own life. But fortunately they seem to have sorted out the serious issues, and I like every change since 10.3.

Perhaps it'll have my 10/10 rating when at version 10.4.3 or somewhere around there, hehe.

What irritates me is the VERY different results people are getting. For example: Safari 2.0 for me is faster than any Safari before. So if for others it's as slow as 1.0v85 and _earlier_, I'd call that strange. Similar things for stability etc. - I just can't find anything really unstable. I love Spotlight in Mail.app, that's just a really great thing. I hate Spotlight for Finder searching, since it's slowing me down incredibly. (Not because it doesn't _quickly_ find everything by content, but because I don't bloody WANT to search by content, I want to search by filename...) I also hate Spotlight in SysPrefs, since I miss the favourites bar there. Now I have to always go to "Show all" or use the menu. Both options take longer than just clicking the right icon in the favourites bar.

I don't know what you mean fryke. My finder seems to search for things using the file name. I've typed in the names of files that I'm looking for and it finds them alright.

My productivity has improved already with Spotlight, Automator, Smart folders etc. Plus I've noticed some quite decent speed improvements over all.

To my own surprise, I'm actually finding the Dashboard useful too, rather than eye candy.

Mac OS X 10.4 is basically what Mac System 7.5 was- an integration of priceless shareware apps INTO the system.

Kinda feel sorry for the makers of Konfabulator and QuickSilver/LaunchBar.

I realy have to agree with Lt Major Burns here. I feel that € 129 for Tiger a lot of money for very little new stuff.

I am pleased with it so far. Tiger is not earth shaking, but certainly worth the upgrade from Panther.

I'm enjoying it. I'll say 8 overall.

Spotlight has saved me hours already searching my 5 drives, but I think it needs work and more options to be useful in all search situations. Speaking of search, it isn't the only way to find things. I mean, some people do still navigate through directories and I still miss the old Apple Menu. I have used Fruit Menu for years now and I can't live without it. 8/10

Dashboard. Well, I am getting used to it and the weird way it runs. I was a fan of Sherlock and actually used it all the time, before the support for it seemed to just drop off the face of the earth. I want my local movies back! :) I am a big fan of client apps like this that give me data from anywhere without a browser. With Sherlock eBay was better than using the eBay site! I think that says something! 6/10

I have worked with people with disabilities and I was really looking forward to VoiceOver to take the Mac back to being the machine for people with disabilities. However, I do not think Apple is there yet. The Mac is not an OS one equates to running only with a keyboard. Turn off your monitor and try VoiceOver. Then realize you have a distinct advantage by being able to visualize in your mind what is happening or where you want to go, what you want to do. Not saying Windows makes it easy in this area, but if I was blind, would I switch to a Mac? I'm not so sure. Needs more. 2/10

I was also excited about Automator, but I miss the old OS 9 (and 8 and 7, 6 even) days of QuicKeys. That app rocked and worked well with Applescrript, but when CE came out the OS X version the completely ruined a great thing. Automator is still falling short for me. I have to wonder what happened to all the great app designers at Apple. They are certainly not working on Pages either! :) 3/10

I also got iLife 05. Nothing too exciting there! 1/10 for the $.

8 of 10

This is my first experience with a Mac, so it's like a whole new world to me. It's been pleasurable so far, to say the least.

My favorite thing in OSX Tiger is the look and feel of it, its stability, and ease of installation (hardware, programs, etc).

My biggest gripe is I'm trying to adapt to it (I've been a windows user all my life), especially with keyboard shortcuts.

Spotlight hasn't replaced folders yet IMHO, but its on its way to becoming a powerful tool.

Dashboard is very helpful, I check it for weather every few hours.

Core Image, video, etc... don't really pertain to me on my Mac Mini :) But I'm sure they're wonderful technologies.

adambyte said:
Kinda feel sorry for the makers of Konfabulator and QuickSilver/LaunchBar.

Konfabulator: Yes, maybe, why not. It _is_ similar, and I guess nobody's denying that. There's been a lot of talk about it, so let's not go there anymore.

QuickSilver/LaunchBar: Those tools are thriving! Spotlight is 100% NOT what QS/LB are for. I just don't understand why people don't get this. Do you _really_ intend to activate Spotlight, enter "photoshop" and wait 10 seconds to see every kind of photoshop file popping up until you safely can select the application?

Back