[HOWTO]Get rid of Safari's brushed metal look

Captain Code

Staff member
Mod
You must have the developer tools installed to do this yourself.
Right-click or control-click on the Safari package.
Click "Show Package Contents"
In the window that pops up, navigate to "Contents/Resources/YourLanguage.lproj/"
where your language will be whatever language you use for the System. Ex: English.lproj

Double click on the Browser.nib to open it in Interface Builder. If the browser window isn't already open in Interface Builder, double click the "Window" icon shown in the Browser.nib window.

Select Show Info from the tools menu.
Select the Attributes item from the drop down menu.
Uncheck Textured Window.
Save the nib file.
Enjoy your new non-metalic browser :D

If you don't have the developer tools installed, download the file I've attached and decompress it. Follow the instructions above and replace the Browser.nib file contained in the package with the one you downloaded.

This file attached is only valid for the beta version of Safari because I'm sure Apple will change it for the next release.

Attachments

• browser.nib.sit
    5.9 KB · Views: 105
That's actuall a bug with the forum software. Rename it to Blah.sit and open it with Stuffit Expander.

BAH, it keeps timing out while uploading the image. Chimera to the rescue!

Attachments

• safari.jpg
    safari.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 346
i'm not sure if this is off-topic or not, but using the same basic technique or something similar, is it possible to apply the brushed metal look to the mail app?

would somebody be able to verify if you can change the mail app to brushed metal? and possibly make a file like the one above? sorry to ask, but i lack the developer tools and skill to change it myself... if the mail app were brushed then all of the apple apps i use would have the same interface

amazing... the program has not been out for more than a day and it has already been hacked... i love it!!!

Nice. Now if only you could get rid of brushed metal that easily for carbon apps too - like iTunes (program, nice; look, blech)

Originally posted by mightyjlr
would somebody be able to verify if you can change the mail app to brushed metal? and possibly make a file like the one above? sorry to ask, but i lack the developer tools and skill to change it myself... if the mail app were brushed then all of the apple apps i use would have the same interface

I'll give it a try tonight and post the results. If it works, I'll post the new nib file.

to get rid of brushed metal, one can also use Unsanity's updated Metallifizer... it now has global option to de/metallifize windows... I asked it from them 9 days ago, dunno how many others have done that too:)

It can be done with Mail.app as well. Here's the updated nib file if you don't want to use Metallifizer.

Uncompress the file and replace the file contained in /Applications/Mail.app/Resources/English.lproj

Attachments

• messageviewer.nib.sit
    3.9 KB · Views: 14
Back