[HowTo] Make 10.5.x speak to a non-functioning D-link wireless router

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
I have read among the Apple Discussions and found a fix for a 10.5.x Mac not speaking to a D-link wireless router. If you go into the wireless D-Link router (that was working before a 10.5.x upgrade) and drop the fragmentation threshold and the frame threshold to 2306. This might fix your problem.

Also disabling IPv6 (in System Preferences->Network->Airport and turn of IPv6) might help.

The drop the fragmentation threshold and the frame threshold to 2306 did the trick. All seems to be going as before the upgrade. Thanks a million!
Mario

Thanks for letting me know this actually works! :cool:

I was just passing along my observations trolling around the Apple Discussions. I am truly glad it worked out for you.

I have read among the Apple Discussions and found a fix for a 10.5.x Mac not speaking to a D-link wireless router. If you go into the wireless D-Link router (that was working before a 10.5.x upgrade) and drop the fragmentation threshold and the frame threshold to 2306. This might fix your problem.

Also disabling IPv6 (in System Preferences->Network->Airport and turn of IPv6) might help.

I have had occasional, unexplained loss of communications with my D-Link (Gamer Lounge) router recently, so I'm glad I found your post...I tried to find IPv6 but couldn't...anyhow...I should be upgrading to the Time Capsule router/hard drive in the next five days so hopefully I won't have to worry about these Airport drops anymore...I'll let you all know how it goes with the Time Capsule...if I get inspired I may actually write a review on it...LOL...can't wait to see if 802.11n makes a difference in the speed department...I know I gotta spend $3 to enable 802.11n on my iMac (I have the white iMac not the "You can't be too thin...and too powerful" one) with that software patch thingy...God, that is silly, but whatever... :)

Thanks for the info, dude!!

I know I gotta spend $3 to enable 802.11n on my iMac (I have the white iMac not the "You can't be too thin...and too powerful" one) with that software patch thingy...God, that is silly, but whatever... :)

Thanks for the info, dude!!

Well you don't have to buy it. It SHOULD be on an included CD/DVD in the Time Capsule packaging.

Back